Advice please

Hi All.

I've got an old J W Benson wrist watch with a cyma R.458 movement.  I can't find another one the same or any info about this model on the web. It doesn't work but seems full wound. Any info on this watch and whether it may be worth repairing would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

John

20240406_184219.jpg

20240406_184321.jpg

20240406_184719.jpg

20240406_184818.jpg

20240406_190801.jpg

20240406_190828.jpg

Welcome to the forum, enjoy. At a guess I would say it just needs servicing. When was it last serviced.
Replacing the complete movement with another used movement could also be problematic. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnH said:

Any info on this watch and whether it may be worth repairing would be much appreciated.

I know way too little about this specific watch/movement to have an objective opinion, but if by "worth repairing" you mean repair and then sell to make a handsome profit I would guess the answer to be no. However, if it has personal value to you and you want to wear it and keep it my answer is a resounding yes! As far as I know, CYMA made excellent quality watches.

With a bit of luck, a service is all that is required to make it tick. However, most of the time there's always some little gremlin hidden inside these old watches so don't count on it.

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 2

Besides the good quality 50's Cyma movement ( I'm not sure what the part is on top of the rate adjuster, usually parts like this are for fine rate adjustment ?) J W Benson were  famous watchmakers and Jewellers . Value, not quite sure, the movement is good quality and the Benson name may give it a little value, some other movement brands such as Smiths that were made for J W Benson can be quite valuable.  But as in all cases condition makes a big difference, and the condition of this dial and case can be considered as below average. But to repair and restore it, i certainly would, the dial could be improved with some very careful cleaning.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 11:35 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Besides the good quality 50's Cyma movement ( I'm not sure what the part is on top of the rate adjuster, usually parts like this are for fine rate adjustment ?) J W Benson were  famous watchmakers and Jewellers . Value, not quite sure, the movement is good quality and the Benson name may give it a little value, some other movement brands such as Smiths that were made for J W Benson can be quite valuable.  But as in all cases condition makes a big difference, and the condition of this dial and case can be considered as below average. But to repair and restore it, i certainly would, the dial could be improved with some very careful cleaning.

I thought the same thing about that part above the adjustment lever but it looks like it is there to hold the cap jewel.

Cyma.JPG

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Do you have to rotate it to a certain position to remove? 

Yes, nice and simple. Move it aside just to get the jewel setting out.

This video is very helpful. Start watching at 17:05 to get the answer to your question.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Poljot said:

Yes, nice and simple. Move it aside just to get the jewel setting out.

This video is very helpful. Start watching at 17:05 to get the answer to your question.

When I think of the hours wasted looking for Kif springs.....

the lever does hold the jewels in, that is the shock system, other manufacturers used similar type systems from that era, I like the sister company Tavanness watches, they are like the American Hamiltons in a way, you should repair that watch.....