Replacing clock mainspring

I just watched this video on YouTube. Scottie just bashed the spring into the barrel without cutting off the wire retainer, pre-oiling the mainspring and winding it into containment ring.

Is this an acceptable technique? One can't even be sure that the hole end of the new mainspring is properly engaged with the barrel hook.

• Haha 3

This is my reply to this clown.

What a bloody shambles. Use the proper tool a clock mainspring winder. You should always measure the inside of the barrel for the correct height because the spring to be replaced might not be the correct one Why don't you use a bigger hammer you clown. You never cleaned the new spring or oiled it, no oil on the ends of the arbor. I have watched many of your videos and find faults with all. People what ever you do never ever follow what this fool shows you. He is a complete menace to clock makers. I have around 30 years experience working on high grade clocks. I wouldn't let him inside my workshop. I look forward to your reply, that's if you have to guts to do so.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

clown.

Doing my usual checking of unread conversations the word clown caught my eye.

7 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Scottie just bashed the spring into the barrel without cutting off the wire retainer, pre-oiling the mainspring and winding it into containment ring.

It would really nice when you're pointing out what people are doing if you could give us an actual time of the amusement so I don't have the watch the entire video as I really don't like watching clock or watch repair videos for that matter.

Oh and then the video I didn't see how he got the old spring out? Probably really don't want to ask that question do I

20 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Why don't you use a bigger hammer you clown.

Is this an acceptable technique? One can't even be sure that the hole end of the new mainspring is properly engaged with the barrel hook.

I was thinking hydraulic press that would be a better approach. Then as far as the hole in engaging with the barrel hook well I wouldn't worry about that at all.  The reason this is not a problem at all would be as the spring is going down it's probably going to catch on the hook going down and destroy it. This is why a hydraulic press would be so much nicer it would have way more force and you probably have the added bonus of destroying the end do your mainspring anyway as this is what you're trying to do is to destroy the mainspring and barrel with this method is it not?

Is this an acceptable technique

Regarding the question is this an acceptable technique well it is if you're on YouTube. But if you're not on YouTube and you're not a clown/idiot  then this is an extremely stupid thing that this person is doing and extremely stupid is an understatement. 

The problem is that the youtube algorithm seems to like his videos, when I started my first clock, I only have a few under my belt (must do more), it was his videos that popped up first. Having some grounding in watchmaking I had a feeling something was 'off' and @oldhippy quickly confirmed this with his usual gusto 🙂 and gave sound advice saving me from making expansive and potentially dangerous mistakes (clock springs are scary!). I thought about commenting on his page, but then decided against it:

image.thumb.png.edd0db890ec542902d286ba9dc269669.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I forgot to mention he was trying to fit a spring into a Smiths barrel I  recognised the factory markings inside the barrel and the barrel cap is different from the barrel. 

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1

It's clear the spring was slamming against the hook when he was knocking on it. I wish he had tried to wind it up in the vid, I bet it didn't catch.

Also his homebrew cleaning solution he notes at the end- he adds oleic acid, which is a classical ingredient in a lot of commercial and homebrew solutions, but it has to be combined with a base to form a soap. In the Finnish recipe I use for clocks the base is ammonia, which is added until it has combined with all the oleic acid.

And finally--- Is it a requirement these days to wear black gloves for everything? From cooking to machining everywhere you look it's black gloves. 😂

Edited by nickelsilver
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Even though I've worked on more than a dozen clocks, mainsprings still scare me.

Minimum safety equipment I would use are cut proof gloves and a face shield. I'm thinking of getting a pair of cut proof sleeves too.

Among the scariest things I've done was to remove a broken mainspring from a barrel. I pictured the jagged end of the mainspring flying out of the barrel and slitting the wrist or worse, the carotid artery. 😱

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Just have a look at this from you know who. He would be more at home in a breakers yard. You can read my comments on youtube. 

Wow! That was painful to watch. I think he removed your comment, I don't see it. 

I think the hook must have broken off when he bashed the new spring in.

The comment is there. I've copied it in full.

Another bodged job. How can you file anything properly in a vice that moves about. Rubber jaws on the vice so it doesn't mark the barrel, that's a laugh considering your incompetence in being able to file correctly has left file marks on the barrel. The inside hook is protruding way to much inside that it will  be rubbing on the spring and causing wear. An apprentice in its first year would make a better job then you. Why are you wearing gloves when filing? is that so you don't pick your nose.

• 1 month later...

Nice to see I am not the only one that doesn’t like his videos, I would like to see him remove a 1000 day spring by hand, picture of torsion clock 400 day and 1000 day mainspring.

Dell

IMG_2404.jpeg.413278f28bb24f703d730503eef501c6.jpeg