Micro welding

mbhorology

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has experience of micro welding techniques for building up areas of worn down metal. I’ve seen examples where worn pinions or even escapement pallets have been built up and refinished.

I like this approach from a conservation point of view, but there isn’t much written about it currently.  I'm considering using this as a technique in my D13 BHI conservation portfolio I'm starting shortly.

This is an area I’d like to be able to get into. From what I’ve established so far equipment such as the Lampert PUK 6 which is a TIG welder is a possible purchase, but its a very big investment so I want to make sure I’m making the right decisions on this.

40 minutes ago, mbhorology said:

I’ve seen examples where worn pinions or even escapement pallets have been built up and refinished.

Perhaps the place to start is where did you see the examples?

Then what about the laser welders they use in the jewelry repair business?

I guess the reason I'm asking in this forum is that I've tried contacting users of this technique, but not everyone wants to share their trade secrets and I respect that.

Laser welders are something I've also looked at.  Is this something you've got experience of using @JohnR725?

49 minutes ago, mbhorology said:

Laser welders are something I've also looked at.  Is this something you've got experience of using

I don't have any personal experience but I've known people that use them. Locally there used to be somebody would fix pocket watch cases so he would give lectures on how he fixed the hinges for instance and I believe you use the laser welder for that. But that's because wherever he was working they had a laser welder.

That I hadn't looked at until now the Lampert PUK 6 It looks rather interesting even have a nice video.

https://www.lampert.info/en/products/jewelry/puk-6/

14 hours ago, mbhorology said:

I like this approach from a conservation point of view

In the field of conservation are there differing points of view of how it is done? The reason I ask is I know somebody who restores vintage music boxes and the impression I had was that only tools that existed at the time the item was made could be used. So basically what you're proposing would not be a desirable thing for my understanding of this persons perception of restoration work? But maybe I'm getting of the terminology confused for which I apologize

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

In the field of conservation are there differing points of view of how it is done?

Yes completely and the approach is different for every situation.

The reality is that the approach you take is a balance between conservation and restoration where:

- Conservation is the preservation and stabilisation of an artefact in its existing state

- Restoration is the reinstatement of an artefact to its former / original state and function

The use of tools and if they are period correct isn't necessarily part of this.  What you are aiming to do is preserve  the existing material and history or of much of it as possible.  Cleaning in ammonia based solutions, ultrasonic cleaners and aggressive polishing for example may not be considered appropriate for example.

In my portfolio I have to look at alternative approaches and give reasoning for the final solution.  Take a badly worn pinion for example this could be fixed by:

- Turn the leaves away to allow a new pinion to be put on the arbor (more restoration than conservation)

- Move the wheel position to engage on a unworn section of the pinion (balanced restoration / conservation)

- Build up the worn area with micro welding and refinish the pinion. (more conservation with restoration)

The final approach with micro welding ticks the conservation boxes as you are preserving more of the material from the original clockmaker and leaving the clock in its current state.  

I'm sure there are downsides to micro-welding which is why I'm seeing if anyone has experience in this area they'd be willing to share.

Nothing like that was around in my days. Even if you invest in one you will still have to machine the parts after they have been filled or are you going to file the repair if so you are going to have to be extremely good other wise you could end up where you started. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi micro/laser welding, you need to talk with Hectorlooi  a dentist/ horologist as he has done both I think.  Try a PM

Thank you for thinking of me, @watchweasol. Bless you.

I wouldn't dare claim any proficiency in micro TIG welding. I have not tried my hand at laser welding.

I chanced upon some YouTube videos on what a Sunstone micro TIG welder could do. Then by chance, I met the local Sunstone distributor at a dental convention and they had a showroom set, which they were also using for product demonstrations and training, clearing at almost half price. But it was still pretty expensive. ($7000 SGD). 

Instead, I bought a China made micro TIG welder from AliExpress for $600.

I was a little disappointed with the results that I was getting. The power control at low amperage and short pulse times was erratic. Sometimes the pulse was underpowered, other times it would blow out and could vaporize small objects or create a molten puddle of metal. I assumed it was a junk Chinese product. 

But a few months before I retired and closed my clinic, I discovered that the problem was actually due to my primary Argon gas regulator. The oring in the regulator had hardened and cracked. So, when my foot was off the pedal, the Argon gas pressure would build up higher than the set pressure and when I stepped on the pedal again, it resulted in a puff of Argon and a giant current pulse.

After I fixed the regulator, I didn't get to practice much with the welder. It is now sitting under a tarpaulin in my driveway. I just haven't found the energy to unpack all the stuff I brought back from the clinic.

I think a laser welder would be capable of much better control. But here it Singapore, for any laser with more power than a laser pointer would require a "non ionising radiation device" licence. And the Government agency tasked to oversee the licensing is as clueless as everyone else. The regulations are worded in such an ambiguous manner that it frightens me.

But recently I spoke with my mentor who told me that the Chinese manufacturer that make the new generation dial feet soldering machines, has come up with a new machine that is capable of doing watch case repairs, bracelet repairs and even broken pivot repairs.

Is it too good to be true? We'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1