I need help identifying this Rolex and it’s movement.

10 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I hate to say it but no way is that a Rolex

I would agree,  the balance looks all wrong, the modern rolex balance is adjusted using a special tool and not a by moving the adjustment arm used in most other watches, so this would either have to be something posing as a Rolex, or an older type. However the older types would not have a spring loaded balance jewel system so this rules out this explanation. In addition to this, the text on the movement is different the "seventeen Jewels..." appears to be etched or raised, but the "...Rolex Geneva" seems to be printed, which indicates to me that this was added at a later date, again to make it appear it is a Rolex. Finally, the movement is absent any decoration (perlage, striping etc...) which I have not seen in a Rolex.  I'm no expert on Rolex and (of course) there are exceptions to what I have shown, but this would raise alarm bells if I were looking to purchase it.

Edited by Waggy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Its a ST96 mumbi Rolex.

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Its a ST96 mumbi Rolex.

Certainly is Joe. But at least the OP can get plenty of spares.

3 hours ago, Waggy said:

I would agree,  the balance looks all wrong, the modern rolex balance is adjusted using a special tool and not a by moving the adjustment arm used in most other watches, so this would either have to be something posing as a Rolex, or an older type. However the older types would not have a spring loaded balance jewel system so this rules out this explanation. In addition to this, the text on the movement is different the "seventeen Jewels..." appears to be etched or raised, but the "...Rolex Geneva" seems to be printed, which indicates to me that this was added at a later date, again to make it appear it is a Rolex. Finally, the movement is absent any decoration (perlage, striping etc...) which I have not seen in a Rolex.  I'm no expert on Rolex and (of course) there are exceptions to what I have shown, but this would raise alarm bells if I were looking to purchase it.

Even without being an expert, you just know when something is of a lesser quality than the brand in question. This really couldn't be any less. Sorry for the OP, but when learning to spot fakes and this example is crap. All you really need to do in most cases is to compare and see what that brand produces as genuine. 

Thank you all for replying and providing me with information! I was going to purchase it but wanted to verify if it was authentic or not. Thank you for helping me not make a costly mistake! I am new to the world of horology and am searching for my first automatic watch purchase. I am looking for a good vintage watch, and came across that “Rolex”. Anyone have any recommendations for a good vintage timepiece? I was also looking at Omega.

57 minutes ago, AB23 said:

Thank you all for replying and providing me with information! I was going to purchase it but wanted to verify if it was authentic or not. Thank you for helping me not make a costly mistake! I am new to the world of horology and am searching for my first automatic watch purchase. I am looking for a good vintage watch, and came across that “Rolex”. Anyone have any recommendations for a good vintage timepiece? I was also looking at Omega.

How much were they asking?  

It won't take much time here to educate your eye to spot a fake. I learned quickly by comparing a movement against Doktor Ranfft or 17jewels.info. Did the seller not say which movement the watch had? This is a clue...

Search the YTers for a watch similar to what you're interested in. Many of them have how-to-spot-a-fake series, too. It won't take long to learn...

Edited by rehajm

2 hours ago, AB23 said:

So many quality brands to choose from. Omega, Longines, Zenith, Movado, Hamilton, Vulcain, Benrus, Bulova, Tissot,Tudor, Certina, Eterna, Vertex , Roamer, Seiko, Buren in fact any original brand that made military watches were capable of producing good quality watches. Most brands made watches at various price points as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AB23 said:

searching for my first automatic watch purchase. I am looking for a good vintage watch

There are so many possibilities, it's hard to know where to start without more information. What is your understanding of the terms automatic (your "Rolex" isn't automatic) and vintage, and what qualities do you expect in such a watch? Is the brand name (recognition, prestige) important, or are you more interested in its objective characteristics? Most important of all, what is your price range?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AB23 said:

Thank you all for replying and providing me with information! I was going to purchase it but wanted to verify if it was authentic or not. Thank you for helping me not make a costly mistake! I am new to the world of horology and am searching for my first automatic watch purchase. I am looking for a good vintage watch, and came across that “Rolex”. Anyone have any recommendations for a good vintage timepiece? I was also looking at Omega

Costly mistakes are usually a good way to learn. Is a lot easier to learn sometimes if there is a penalty for making a mistake.

One of the problems when purchasing watches are there sealed up typically. The problem with the sealed watch is you don't know what's inside. The best way to buy used watches find a dealer of used watches with a good reputation. Someone who tells you this is a Rolex watch you can trust it's a Rolex watch. Versus whenever this watch was purchased which by the way was where exactly?

Oh and then there is the other little problem super fakes. Because a watch like a Rolex is worth money people are spending a lot of time making fake watches. It's back to buying from somebody with a known reputation where if you discover for some unknown reason it's not right They would give your money back.

No stud screw and I rest my case!

Rolex watches are truly high-quality watches. Too bad 19 out of 20 spotted Rolex watches are fake, so unless you're already known to be financially successful no one will think you're wearing a genuine Rolex. Anyway, if you really love a particular brand, like Rolex, you get it anyway as you don't care what other people may or may not think.

But I'm with @Neverenoughwatches on this...

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

So many quality brands to choose from.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest a Tissot Seastar as this is a quality brand and value for money - another thing is that they don't cost the earth, so even if you are unfortunate enough to receive a fake (lightning can strike twice) it wont be the end of the world. It's sad that buying watches as become such a mine field, bizarrely, even relatively inexpensive watches such as a Seiko are sold on eBay for $10 and are obvious fakes or watches that are cobbled together from spare parts from several watches (Frankenstein's) with 'after market' dials etc. One wonders how they can make any profit bearing in mind the cost of the parts and labor etc. to make such a fake/frankenstein???

I agree with @VWatchie that one way to avoid this is to buy from reputable sellers, but even this isn't fool proof, as even these guys are only human and can be caught out by the super fakes.

It's an interesting point @VWatchie raises that popular and commonly faked watches (such as Rolex) will elicit a response by most people who will automatically assume it's a fake, so if it is the wow factor someone is looking for, then wearing a Rolex will backfire even if the watch you have is genuine. Bearing this in mind it may be a better tactic to look for a quality watch that is not plastered on every magazine or airport departure lounge... dare to be different 🙂

@AB23 I'm glad the forum responded quickly and prevented you making a costly mistake with that 'Rolex", it's in everyone's interest that such fakes are not sold. I know saving one person is just a drop in the ocean..... but its like the saying "how do you eat an elephant?....... One bite at a time" hopefully this was just such a bite!

• Like 1