Sticky Hairspring

Hi all,

slight problem with a sticky hairspring. Watch was gaining shed loads, so stripped down for servicing.Noticed the hairsping coils stuck together, easy remedy. Yeah right........... cleaned in fluid, demagnetized. cleaned in ultrasonic cleaner. and keeps reverting to stuck, even though the coils stay in correct order when seperated.....

Any ideas folks................ :(

post-227-0-65166200-1438965000_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-43950300-1438965007_thumb.jpg

As a matter of interest, have you checked it with a compass? It's not the first time it's taken me several attempts to remove the magnetism.

Checked and double checked.................... also no detritus on the coils. Thinking of soaking over night.

I'm with Steven on this Keith.

Here's a thought, sprinkle some iron filings on it and see if they cling to it. If they do, place in a small poly bag and zap it with the demagnetiser until you can remove them with a blower. Then give it another clean in an ultrasonic cleaner before re- fitting it.

I'm with Steven on this Keith.

Here's a thought, sprinkle some iron filings on it and see if they cling to it. If they do, place in a small poly bag and zap it with the demagnetiser until you can remove them with a blower. Then give it another clean in an ultrasonic cleaner before re- fitting it.

Give it a go in the morning.............. hope that is the problem..... but have de-magged it three times....... and checked it............... :)

I have very recently had the same problem with an identical hairspring. The reason was that the spring was not flat and so some coils were touching the balance wheel. In your case could it be that some coils are touching the surface on which you have placed the hairspring?

I have very recently had the same problem with an identical hairspring. The reason was that the spring was not flat and so some coils were touching the balance wheel. In your case could it be that some coils are touching the surface on which you have placed the hairspring?

Checked on Hairspring spike and all nicely flat. Give it a wiggle, (technical term), and it touches..............

OK, its not like my problem.

If you try Geo's ingenious solution with iron filings, you should use soft iron. Steel filings could become themselves magnetic by work hardening. But I suppose in that case the filings would fall off the hairspring when both were demagnetized!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Would you believe it, got another one on a Seiko 7S26A. Worked perfect on the Timegrapher, +4 secs a day, then the coils touched and all over the gaff. Will just buy another Balance complete, as they are quite cheap.

Just bl##dy annoying............ :(

Sorry if I put a stupid question:

It appears every balance (or at least two) you touch gets magnetized. Are you sure your tweezers aren't magnetized? :)

Or anything in the surrounding area?

Edited by matabog

You're not keeping your watches on top of a tv or speaker are you?

Anilv

I am totally aware of the placements of magnets...... It is probably just one of those things.... Tyres on a car don't last 15 years.... or an engine in most cases. This spring has been going at 21600 beats per hour for 15 years.............. 2,838,240,000 beats...... that's more beats, than a Heart over 70 years .. I think it's knackered... :(

I am totally aware of the placements of magnets...... It is probably just one of those things.... Tyres on a car don't last 15 years.... or an engine in most cases. This spring has been going at 21600 beats per hour for 15 years.............. 2,838,240,000 beats...... that's more beats, than a Heart over 70 years .. I think it's knackered... :(

Now I know why I feel so tired some days  :startle: