What type of shock spring is this?

I’m servicing an ST69 movement from 1962 and of course the jewels and shock springs are tiny.  While I thought I was being careful in the removal process, one of them broke. I’ve attached a picture below of the two halves roughly laid next to each other. Can anyone identify whether this is Inca or KEF or some other brand and possibly a part number(s)?

Also, the other one flipped up as it was supposed to but as I was removing the chaton and jewel it came completely loose of the mount. Curious what the best technique is to get the hinge side back in place.  😕 Hold vertical? Lay flat, or what? I’m guessing vertical since that’s how it came off in the first place.

494070B3-870F-4BF0-A28C-A81488574EC1.jpeg

Looks like a KIF 4-2 or 4-3, I have to go measure it. According to Cousins the 4-2 is disco’d but the 3-2 is an alternative. Could still use some reinstallation advice, though.

Agreed. I was able to locate them at Esslinger even though their listing was initially confusing (looked like they only carried the three-lobed ones until digging into the item options.). This particular one is the 1.5mm length.

Edited by AndrewSi

These shockproof springs are used on Rolex watch movements. not sure if they are Elastor or Satellor springs. I know Rolex use Duofix springs on their escape wheels cap jewels.

I just serviced a Rolex 1030 with Duofix and  Satellor springs on. Might have been Elastor; I can never tell the difference, as it is very slight.

Bit of a bugger getting back into place if they detach, but doable. I made a video of it if anyone needs advice getting them fitted, especially if you break one!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 12:37 AM, AndrewSi said:

Where can I find the video? I would find that quite helpful.

Which spring is it you need the video for, as there are several types of Kif springs?

image.png.aceae5d5686349c88695bee27b91adae.png

4 minutes ago, AndrewSi said:

It's the 4-2. I've been successful since I wrote this in clicking it into place by resting it on top of the cap jewel and pushing forward against the horizontal cross-member at the hinge end of the spring.

Here's a link to my cloud storage, where you'll find what your looking for. Be really careful not to force the arms to much apart otherwise it'll break

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EcMQ_y3krYj3sj_M6a19OoXHU5RAnsCP/view?usp=sharing

That was helpful - the setting on this particular watch did not require forcing the arms quite as wide as in your video in order to clip into place, so that's probably why I was able to do it with just forward pressure and not having to pull the arms sideways.  Thank you!

• Like 1