Vintage Watch

It certainly looks like a screw back. I would be trying with a sticky ball, or you could try this http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/2593-the-cheapest-and-best-screwed-case-back-remover/ as posted by Colin this morning. If these easy methods don't work, report back as there are a few more involved ways of tackling it.

Regarding the crystal, if it didn't have a crack in it I would have polished it, but it looks like it is cracked so it will require a new one.

It certainly looks like a screw back. I would be trying with a sticky ball, or you could try this http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/2593-the-cheapest-and-best-screwed-case-back-remover/ as posted by Colin this morning. If these easy methods don't work, report back as there are a few more involved ways of tackling it.

Regarding the crystal, if it didn't have a crack in it I would have polished it, but it looks like it is cracked so it will require a new one.

Same advice from me. Looks like, with a bit of care, that the standard 2-prong opener should open the case back.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

yes,   a two prong,  you should have several types of openers in 'THIS GAME".    you can make the pins on a lathe to EXACTLY  fit the holes.  i have found watches that the case back  threads had  been striped (can't imagine how)  and then glued in.  then you can apply heat (depending on which glue was used).  i would not go over 250 deg. F,   vinn

37 minutes ago, vinn3 said:

yes,   a two prong,  you should have several types of openers in 'THIS GAME".    you can make the pins on a lathe to EXACTLY  fit the holes.

Kind of thread resurrection... Also I think you will find that watch repair hobbyists don't own lathes..

you don't need a lathe.   my point is,IF, the case back is tight,   a loose tool may jump out of the indent ( that one appears to be stamped-out metal) and scratch  heavaly.  any tool, like a screw driver should  be  close to 100 % contact with the slot.  so keep trying, good luck.  vinn

2 hours ago, Geo said:

You're so wrong, quite a lot of hobbiests own lathes.

No doubt that many advanced hobbyists have a lathe, I should have said beginners hobbyists - as i suspect the OP is.

Also I think that in forum, among the most active members, those having a lathe are a small minority,.

12 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

This is what I had to open watch cases, with the interchangeable bits it was a God send. Why you can only get the three jaw single handle one when the four jaw is much better.

These are hard to find. Never seen one for sale, at least as new.

Today the three pronged one failed me for the first time (actually in combination with a poor case holder) and i was tempted to buy a 5700 knock-off.