Eta Screws

Hi All

I'm following a TimeZone course with an ETA 2801-2 movement I found in a Braille watch.

Everything was going ok but then in the space of 10 minutes I lost both barrel bridge securing screws - pinged off and forever hiding from my magnetic broom [emoji20]

Several times I've ordered 'watch screw' packs from eBay. Some where collections of new screws the likes of which I have never seen in a watch and some were packs of old screws that I guess stripped from scrap movements. I have yet to come across the screws I want.

The 2 screws I need have a slope under the head, as the holes they go into have a sunken slope that the screw needs to fit into.

Almost all the screws I've see have a flat underside, and those that are the right shape are the wrong size.

Does anyone know where I can buy screws specifically for ETA movements ? Or is there a really good source of spare screws that is likely to include what I need.

Thanks all - hoping someone with a lot of experience of these things has some good advice

Cheers

Dean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just been on google and found this site. http://www.eternaltools.com/blog/swiss-eta-watch-movement-partsit has a list of all parts with pictures even the screws.

In the past I always found never get rid of anything in the watch or clock field because you never know when you will need it. I also found like you these packs that you can buy never have the right ones with odd shapes and sizes. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck.

Ahhhhh - thanks guys - its the 5101/5110/5121/5125 screw - now I know

However, Ive just pinged the crown wheel ring (422), and then some part of the keyless work boinged out of my cleaning container before I had a chance to see what it was - a bad day methinks.

Probably the best thing to do is to track down a scrap 2801-2 and pinch the bits I need.

Thanks again

Dean

Ahhhhh - thanks guys - its the 5101/5110/5121/5125 screw - now I know

However, Ive just pinged the crown wheel ring (422), and then some part of the keyless work boinged out of my cleaning container before I had a chance to see what it was - a bad day methinks.

Probably the best thing to do is to track down a scrap 2801-2 and pinch the bits I need.

Thanks again

Dean

Tough day !!

I think you need to dress your tweezers a bit, it makes a whole lot of a difference !!

Dean, in the UK you can get many of the parts you might want here from Cousins. They also have parts lists to help you identify what you need. In the case of this movement they have the full technical brief with oiling charts, assembly sequence, etc

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/eta-esa-movement-parts

The screws you want are restricted for some reason, but I would always refer to Jules Borel's parts database which will show you parts interchangeability with other movements.

A quick google search for eta 2801 5105 screw comes up with several hits so there will be someone out there who will sell to you.

I once lost a screw from a Venus 188 chrono right towards the end of reassembling it. Spent an hour searching on the floor, an hour searching on the Internet, and then dear wife came up with the bright idea of securing a hankie over the end of the vacuum cleaner hose with a rubber band, turning it down low and using that to hunt with. Turned out I'd dropped it in the movement (grrrr!!!), but the trick worked.

Stuart

Wow Stuart - that's really good advice ! I found a screw from a spares pot that 'worked' but it looked wrong so I'm definitely going to follow your ideas. I love the hankie idea - I'm definitely going to give that a go - cheers

I'm not sure when but ETA change their numbering system. So it probably helped to have a newer data sheet especially one that shows you exactly were all the The parts go.

So at the link below you want technical documents. Then when you're in technical documents rather than doing a search if you hit the arrow next to Caliber It will bring up a list of everything they have.

https://secure.eta.ch/csp/DefaultDesktop.aspx

Just a tip using tweezers.

The way you're pinging things I suspect you may be trying to grip too hard.

Get a couple of dozen old screws and parts in a small container and then practice picking them up and putting them in another one.

Use only the minimum force needed to grip the item, DO NOT SQUEEZE. You'll soon find that the lightest pressure is all that's required to do the job.

Also dressing your tips and using brass tweezers helps a lot too.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Jim

Jim - thanks for that great advice. Yes I may be a little heavy handed - but I've stripped down quite a few movements now (mostly old pocket watches) so I'm kinda getting a bit of the knack. My tweezers are Dumont number 5 - and I have used them a lot and haven't dressed them at all, so maybe part of the problem is that they need redressing - like you suggest. I have ordered a flat file (as recommended for tweezers by Mark in another post) so hopefully it will arrive before the weekend, and I can have a go at improving my existing tweezers. I have also just ordered a number 2 Dumont tweezers (I've been meaning to get some extra fines ones) as well as a set of Bergeon brass jobs.

Feeling very skint - but if it saves me the frustration of head-butting my bench in exasperation every time I hear ping followed by empty tweezers - it'll be money well spent [emoji3]

Dean, have you thought of erecting a screen around your bench? An old sheet draped round and sloped in towards your workspace so that pinged items come part of the way back to you. Don't forget to make a roof to prevent space launches.

... or you could buy a tent!

Yeah - that's a great idea - maybe I should put everything inside a tent inside my office lol [emoji3]

No, seriously, it's a good idea and I'm going to put a curtain rail and white curtains to stop pings that would go into the wife's 'messy' half of the office