ORIS CAL 400 DEAD START

11 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

If it's not in beat, watches need a shake to start. As long as it's keeping time and has the 5 day reserve, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah I heard other movements do this. Was just wondering if this is by design. maybe the new escapement?

ohhh I think I got it.

The locking mechanism is in the pallet itself. The new silicone pallet indent. so the silcone escapewheel although fully charged is in a dead lock on the pallet.

LOCK.png

because balance wheel has not started up yet.... no force to push off the lock. 

I'm NOT sure I'm right just guessing.

Edited by FALLINGTITAN

31 minutes ago, FALLINGTITAN said:

I noticed from dead, even winding 200+ times the watch will not start unless you give it a jump start. light tap or small shake in hand.

Oris says 215 turns to fully wind the 5 day reserve. But anyone know why this movement needs to be jump started?

I love Oris .Oooo. Have you got the new Aquis.  Extended power reserve from the twin barrel movement.  Its on my new watch list to buy. Oris have been mostly in-house. As mike has said an out of beat movement will require a start up. Personally i dont like to shake a watch. When testing a watch for movement or firing up from a stall i hold the watch face up in my palm and do a little twist with my hand, or a vertical spin and back will work just as well. Keeping the spin in the same orientation as the balance wheel. 

Ah, haha. I'm surprised Oris got away with this escapement, as it was patented like 100 years ago (Cole?), then revamped by Timex at one point, and even Patek managed a patent not too long ago. The Swiss will give a patent on something that is literally the same as prior art as long as the patent is expired. A$$holes.

The push for longer power reserves in recent years is a gimmick, and the push to use Liga (metal printing), silicon, etc., is a step backwards.

It's a nice looking movement though, and if it starts with a shake and doesn't stop and keeps time then run with it.

1 hour ago, grsnovi said:

It's possible that the watch simply needs to be cleaned and re-lubricated.

if you believe the manufacture the watch doesn't need to be serviced for a few more years there claiming it doesn't have to go back for servicing until 2030.

https://www.oris.ch/movement/72/CALIBRE 400

always interesting to read the technical points on the manufacturers webpage I wonder if this watch really will run for 10 years?

• Like 1