Some More For Restoration.

Geo

Thanks guys, you get a far better deal at a local auction than eBay. The wee stainless Omega dates from 1939 and has a 23.4SC movement. The other is a 1972 Omega Geneva with 1481 movement. The Favre is a single barrel movement, I don't know the calibre yet.

None were working, but on first very quick inspection, the old one had the second touching the minute hand and after a wee week it is running fine. The Geneve balance swings fine but will not run and the the rear gasket is goo. The Favre runs OK, but looks like the cannon pinion is slipping. So hopefully they will all be going well after a good service.

Good stuff, Geo. Out of interest, was there a buyer's commission on the auction?

There sure was Will, including VAT it worked out at 25% in total. Even with this, I recon I still think it worked out at about 2/3rd what I would have paid on the EBay.

That's interesting. Auctions down here seem to attract high bidders. I've generally paid more, in the end, at auctions than on eBay. I suppose you have to balance the auction buyer's commission and the VAT on that against the fee-less buyer's transaction on eBay - and see which tend to work out best.

I think it all depends on who's there on the day and how widely advertised the the lots are.

Definitely , i think it depends if the auction is online to , i struggle to buy anything through saleroom.com these days although did pick up a 9ct gold one last week as it wasn't listed as gold.

Love the SS Omega though very nice

I use when time Watemans which is near Bluewater shopping complex . Viewings allowed on theThursday before the auctions. Normally the first Friday of every month. 

Sometimes good prices but sometimes absolutely stupid prices its all down to luck. I used to pick up good quality French clocks for £20 + commission. But prices have really fallen on eBay so don,t bother any more. However I do like the atmosphere some real characters there too.