Balance jewels for Vostok 2209

Hi,

I am currently servicing a Vostok 2209 movement and upon inspecting the parts, I found one of the balance cap jewels is cracked, the brass part. I attached a photo for reference. Is there anywhere I can purchase a replacement jewel? I tried CousinsUK but either I don't know how to search for them or they don't have them. I am very new to this, having just started to service watch movements as a hobby, so I appreciate your help.

Thank you,

IMG_2569.JPG

1 hour ago, utzelu said:

I found one of the balance cap jewels is cracked, the brass part.

That is not a cap jewel, is an hole jewel. The brass part is so sometime called chaton. It is not said that being cracked influences good working, so you should test it before assuming that's a problem.

1 hour ago, utzelu said:

Is there anywhere I can purchase a replacement jewel?

There is no secret place for parts, have a read

48 minutes ago, jdm said:

That is not a cap jewel, is an hole jewel. The brass part is so sometime called chaton. It is not said that being cracked influences good working, so you should test it before assuming that's a problem.

Thanks for clarifying the nomenclature. You are right in that the jewel itself is in good condition and the crack in the chaton may not affect the performance. I will reuse it for now.

As for places to buy parts, I read the whole thread you recommended and to summarize, there are not many options for us hobbyists. For me is mainly Cousins UK, or eBay. The other online sites mentioned there are selling exclusively to businesses. As I live on a relatively small island in the Mediterranean Sea, I don’t have any choice to find parts around, hence the online route.

This being said, I suppose the hole jewels are relative generic parts. Are they sold by size, model, or other way? How would I go about searching for such hole jewels?

thanks

10 hours ago, utzelu said:

For me is mainly Cousins UK, or eBay.

Just like anyone else in the world. All and any material houses now sell online, some may not have a full catalog. The ones which resisted and didn't now have closed down as a results.

The other online sites mentioned there are selling exclusively to businesses.

There are very few like that, and there are ways around also. However no material house in the Western world has parts for your Russian watch.

The long topic is not supposed to give a solution to every part needed. More to let beginners understand what is the actual situation, and be realistic when it comes to that.

This being said, I suppose the hole jewels are relative generic parts. Are they sold by size, model, or other way?

If it gives trouble you need a complete jewel from a donor mov.t, in practice, for a beginner, there is no other way. Jewels can be purchase by size or in assortments, but that is not the problem you're facing right now. First, you have to put back together the mov.t and have it run better than before.

If you look on Cousins website, follow "Watch Parts", "Watch Parts Branded", then "Wostok", you get here  https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/wostok-movement-parts

Enter your movement number and you will find an extensive list of parts available. At the top of the page, click on "PDF Documents" to get the PDF parts list.

The part you need is one of these :

image.thumb.png.be6e63c06e74b9d482e776f2fad9dcc3.png

Anyone can set up an account, not just businesses.

Even with VAT and shipping, it's pretty cheap for those parts.

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

If you look on Cousins website, follow "Watch Parts", "Watch Parts Branded", then "Wostok", you get here  https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/wostok-movement-parts

Enter your movement number and you will find an extensive list of parts available. At the top of the page, click on "PDF Documents" to get the PDF parts list.

The part you need is one of these :

image.thumb.png.be6e63c06e74b9d482e776f2fad9dcc3.png

Anyone can set up an account, not just businesses.

Even with VAT and shipping, it's pretty cheap for those parts.

Thank you Mike! I did this search before starting this thread, but somehow I misread the parts list and instead I was looking for the part #630/631, which wasn't in stock.

I bought almost all my tools and materials from Cousins so I already have an account with them. Yeah, no issue with the VAT, as even if buying from within EU, VAT is still added. So it's the same whether buying from outside/inside EU.

47 minutes ago, utzelu said:

Yeap, you're right. I have all three of them, I guess they were made for different markets.

They are all the same. I think it's just the translation to English. In Russian it's "Boctok" with the symbol a curly "B".

At the top of the parts list it has "Boctok" ,"Wostok" as Russian/English equivalent.

I guess the "W" is pronounced more like "V" in English, hence "Vostok". 

Maybe we have a Russian speaker who can enlighten us ?

Edited by mikepilk

Moving on with the service, I found out that the 2nd wheel has a cannon pinion attached. I think it’s the part #200/1. Is the cannon pinion supposed to be removed from the wheel?

65E0479C-6EA9-48D1-BBAA-76C4BA237A29.jpeg

Edited by utzelu

Usually, yes. But as a beginner, unless you have the correct tools, it might be best just to clean it as it is. They can be quite tight and there's a danger of damaging the wheel.

I have a couple of AS and Revue movements with similar arrangements - but I can't remember how I got the cannon pinion off 🙄 (may have been a roller table remover). 

Someone knowledgeable like @jdm or @Nucejoe will be able to advise 😀

The brain has just kicked in to gear - I remember a similar problem I had a while ago : bought a new centre wheel for a Seiko Bellmatic and it came with the cannon pinion fitted. How to remove it? Not easy, as you can read in this thread - https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/17435-how-do-i-remove-cannon-pinion-from-new-centre-wheel/

The 5th post from @Poljot links to a youtube video - if you watch from 11mins, Mark shows you how it's done - easy if you have a Platax tool, but not many do. 

Like Mark shows in the video and if like me you don't have a palatax tool, I grab the CP in tweexers or long nose pliers as said , to mimic the platax.

Clean , GREASE  to refit the CP. 

Regards

• 1 month later...

Just a minor update. I managed to remove the cannon pinion quite easily, by using my Sherline milling machine with a blunt center drill. Putting it back is even easier. 

IMG_2625_1.JPG

• Like 1