Hello everyone - newbie from the English Countryside

RichDavis

Hi all,

I found this forum after I subscribed to Mark's online watch repair course. I have been devouring the episodes and can't wait to get started. So please excuse any daft questions for the first few months or so 🙂 I have had a fascination with watches for as long as I can remember and am very much looking forward to breathing new life into some old pieces. Thank you.

Rich

• Thanks 1

Oh I should add that one of my main motivators for learning to repair watches if to be able to restore my Grandfather's watch (Pictured). This is worth very little to the general public, but is of course priceless to me. It would be wonderful to see it working again. I will keep you posted on my progress!

IMG_5314.jpeg

16 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Welcome to WRT forum Rich. 

What caliber is under the hood?   In case you can not identify the movement will you post a picture of it.

=Hi there. I have just found the number under the balance. Very difficult to read, but I'm sure it says EB 8385-66. I've done some googling and it looks like an Ebauches Bettlach variety. I haven't ordered my tools yet, so excuse the fact it's not sat on a cushion 🙂 

DSC02197.jpg

15 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Welcome Rich! I too just joined and I'm also quickly going through Mark's "Basics" tutorials.

Hi there and welcome. I've been looking through some of the other posts and so much useful information on here. I'm looking forward to learning so I can add value back to the group. Good luck with everything and be sure to post your projects for us to see 🙂 

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hello rich and welcome to the forum , If you Google "Ranfft EB 8385-66  the Ranfft web site will give you all the family variations and quite a bit of useful info.  I have attached a bit of reading for you to get you started.

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf 371.51 kB · 0 downloads TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf 4.2 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks so much watchweasol - that's very useful.