I'm Gary

grsnovi

I live in the metro-Portland area. Still have a couple of nice mechanical watches (IWC just came back from servicing) as well as numerous quartz watches. I've been watching Marshall's YouTube videos for a couple of weeks and ordered some stuff from Jeweler's Supplies. My plan is to pick-up a pocket watch or two on eBay and take it apart, clean/lube it and put it back together. I'm wondering what newbies do who don't own thousands of dollars of special purpose tools. For example, would you ignore a main spring or simply replace an old one with a new replacement (not planning to purchase a $900 Bergeon spring winder set just yet). What's the deal with the solvent "One Dip" - nobody seems to have it... I'm sure I'll have more questions. I'm also a photography guy so be patient if I post images.

29 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Welcome to WRT forum.

Welcome Portland...got some kin folk there.

Esslinger has one dip. If the mainspring is not broken, don't replace it. If you are servicing for your own amusement, I would just take a look at the MS and see if it has any rust or corrosion. If it looks OK, just ad a little oil. The experts here may disagree. At some point you will come upon a nasty spring. There is no other path than removing and cleaning and replacing. Lots of discussion on this forum about Chinese MS winders. Look for it...there are cheap solutions.

With old ebay pocket watches, I think you will find missing screws, broken click springs and such from time to time. You just have to buy more donors or try to find parts from people like daveswatchparts.

Thanks for the introduction!

10 hours ago, grsnovi said:

would you ignore a main spring or simply replace an old one with a new replacement .

I usually give the watch a full wind to observe it's actual power reserve on bench., a visual inspection of the barrel and spring is neccessary as well. 

Most automatic watches are practically a manual wind to which autowinder is added, so you can just remove the autowinder and fully wind the watch through the crown. 

Not much can be done in the way of testing for non runners  and on some watches you only have the choice to wind through the ratchet wheel screw, kinda risky as ratchet screws were not meant to wind by.

Hope this helps.

14 hours ago, grsnovi said:

I'm wondering what newbies do who don't own thousands of dollars of special purpose tools.

Welcome here. We have continuous discussions about tools, their costs, and alternatives. For example:

In all cases do not place tools before your own training and ability of using even average tools to their best.

What's the deal with the solvent "One Dip" - nobody seems to have it...

It's/was tetrachloroethylene. There are alternatives. Again, do not worry too much about is the 'best tool or product' before being able to remove and replace any type of balance, 100 times in a row, without causing any damage, and not taking more than say 30 seconds. We have had a lot of people coming here with high ambitions, that when faced with the true aspecst of the 'hobby', wasn't heard anymore.

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Most have been asked and discussed before. Use the search box top right, its limit is when searching for sentences.

I'm also a photography guy so be patient if I post images.

As written somewere pictures are encouraged. Advertising on this forum is supposed to help paying for the overhead involved.

3 hours ago, jdm said:

...do not worry too much about is the 'best tool or product' before being able to remove and replace any type of balance, 100 times in a row...

I hear what you're saying but I don't imagine that I'll ever get to a point where I have experience with "any type of balance" or have the patience to remove/replace the same balance in the same movement 100x.

My plan is not to go into business or to ever represent myself as being a "watchmaker" who can do repairs.

It's quite possible (probable even) that my lack of depth perception due to my stroke will render my ability to do extremely close work frustrating. We'll see.

Thanks for your reply jdm

50 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

have the patience to remove/replace the same balance in the same movement 100x.

I must admit that I was exaggerating, not being probably able to do myself what I wrote especially about repeatibility in time taken. All I wanted to say is that you need to first and foremost acquire dexterity and consequently self confidence before commiting money to tools or counting on the ability to servicing  your watches,  especially the expensive ones. In any event, best of luck. 

4 hours ago, jdm said:

...or counting on the ability to servicing  your watches,  especially the expensive ones.

Not planning on doing that. Was planning to find some old pocket watches on eBay and see if I can get them running. That's all. Then, if I can accomplish that and if it doesn't drive me nuts who knows? But it won't be on $9000. of my watches.

• 2 weeks later...

April 4th update...

...I've taken the Elgin 313 down to the bones (almost) and cleaned everything (almost).

I'm waiting on a spring and some oil to arrive.

The 2nd Elgin has arrived and it's a Grade 409 so I doubt that it will be cannibalized for the 313. I'm going to wait to do anything on that until I've got the 313 going.

I still need to remove the cap jewels and I'm waiting on my oil to take those out.

• 2 weeks later...