ETA 2789-1

Looking a the cog part at the top. I notice that the cog does not actually sit in the gem. It looks flat at the top. Is there supposed to be a point?, that inserts into the gem. Can't tell on the parts sheet. Anyone hep with that information please.

Ross

20220302_160002.jpg

20220302_160027.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
added photographs

1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

Looking a the cog part at the top. I notice that the cog does not actually sit in the gem. It looks flat at the top. Is there supposed to be a point?, that inserts into the gem

That is the escape wheel, not balance. The 'cog' is a pinion, the 'gem' an hole jewel. The 'point' is the pivot and of course must be there for the wheel assembly to rotate precisely. As mentioned above already in your case it has snapped due to forcing the bridge down without it being in the hole. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, jdm said:

As mentioned above already in your case it has snapped due to forcing the bridge down without it being in the hole. 

OK new one needed. I'm trying to find one, but no success yet. I did notice when I first obtained the watch, the back was off, the escapement wheel did not move. The balance wheel only partially rotated a few times. I don't think it was me that damaged the escapement However, that's not the point. I believe in the adage, don't fix the blame, fix the problem.

Ross

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

I did notice when I first obtained the watch, the back was off, the escapement wheel did not move.

That is normal, the pallet fork holds steady the train including the escape wheel, even at full wind, when the balance doesn't swing, or is even removed. With some experience you will become able and used to inspect the condition of of each part while taking the mov.t apart.

• Thanks 1

ETA2789  and  ETA 2789-1  have the same escape wheeel, they differ in complications.

Considering the low shipping costs of what LWS shows, they are not really expensive. Speedtimekolection ships free to Europe. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

ETA2789  and  ETA 2789-1  have the same escape wheel, they differ in complications.

Considering the low shipping costs of what LWS shows, they are not really expensive. Speedtimekolection ships free to Europe. 

Thank you. I have written to them for information. They supply it with bridge and Pallet fork for 17 or 25 jewel movements. Mine is 21.

Regards

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01

12 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Thank you. I have written to them for information. They supply it with bridge and Pallet fork for 17 or 25 jewel movements. Mine is 21.

All three varants have same cock, regultor device and incabloc settings.  jewel diference is in auto device and end stones. so any of then would fit in your watch.

Google the keyword  """ ETA 2789 ranfft""" ,  Dr ranfft lists in clolumn all variants to the base caliber 2750, on the left are listed all manual wind calibers and automatics on the right.  the first family beat 21600 per hr, the second family of the same generation beat 28800 per hr.  So the balance complete interchanges between 21 jewel and 25 versions, 

So would any other balance as long as it beats the same. namely 21600 and 28800 bph

Good luck pal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

All three varants have same cock, regultor device and incabloc settings.  jewel diference is in auto device and end stones. so any of then would fit in your watch.

Google the keyword  """ ETA 2789 ranfft""" ,  Dr ranfft lists in clolumn all variants to the base caliber 2750, on the left are listed all manual wind calibers and automatics on the right.  the first family beat 21600 per hr, the second family of the same generation beat 28800 per hr.  So the balance complete interchanges between 21 jewel and 25 versions, 

So would any other balance as long as it beats the same. namely 21600 and 28800 bph

Good luck pal.

Same story for escape wheel.   all 21600 interchange, so would all 28800. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent advice. Thank you folks

Nucejoe. I am going to order the ETA 2789  part from Speedtimerkolection, A great site. Will keep you all updated.

Note. I appreciate the comments on nomenclature. I am learning, Slowly, and it is comments from yourselves that really does help. I take no offence for the nudges. I have mild dyslexia in that when I read a technical book about a subject, I have great difficulty in dissimilating the information. Had read a few books about watches and hardly anything sticks. 

However, the videos and comments from members is really helping. I will get there. Honest.

Regards to all.

Ross

• Like 1

Hi Ross,

You already have acheived a great deal, actually the movement itself is a good teacher, by the time this project of your is finished, you will have acquired plenty of knowledge and no book can teach the dexterity you gain along the way. A couple of more projects and you gain much confidence.

All the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the information. Looked at Ranftt for information on ETA 2789 and ETA 279-1. They do appear to be the same. I contacted Speedtimerskolection who could not help. However, I'm sure you members are correct. I've ordered the set of Escape wheel, Pallet fork and bridge. 

I'm sure I'll cock up at some stage. But as commented. It's a great learning curve. 

Really enjoying myself. Days are smiles.

Regards

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
spelling
  • Like 1

Found the problem. Only after I tried to fit the escape wheel and it snapped the pivot, ordered another.

The problem is, as noted by one of Mark Lovick's videos, the pivot of the original escape wheel is broken and stuck into the Gem. 

Therefore I need to remove the pivot. Don't have the skill. Or, buy another main plate. Probable option.

Before finding the problem I had just purchase the movement bridge, thinking it was the top gem of the escape wheel that was problematic. . Heck! Look before you leap, comes to mind. Ah well.

Regards

Ross

20220311_074502.jpg

20220311_074533.jpg

47 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

the pivot of the original escape wheel is broken and stuck into the Gem

Can you poke it out? I made a very fine needle out of an old oiler by polishing it on 3M lapping film. I guess any very fine grit wet and dry emery paper would work as well. I mostly use this oiler needle to poke out peg wood that occasionally gets stuck inside jewel holes when pegging.

If it doesn't work to poke the pivot out, you could of course replace the jewel, but that would of course require a set of pretty expensive tools.

Edited by VWatchie
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VWatchie said:

Can you poke it out?

I've completely stripped the movement. Looking at the movement through a x20 eye piece, now can't see the pivot. Maybe it has come out, maybe it hasn't. Not sure if I am fully competent to know. However, for £6.50 I can get a replacement movement. Rather do that. Ordered an hour ago.

This hobby is so engrossing, interesting.

Regards

Ross

5 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

Looking at the movement through a x20 eye piece, now can't see the pivot.

Let me put it like this. I'm not super surprised, as pivots always have at least a slight side-shake. 😉

5 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

This hobby is so engrossing, interesting.

Indeed! It makes me happy (and sometimes extremely frustrated).

• 3 weeks later...

Would you believe it? Found the problem. Poor photograph, but hope you can see. The gem in the 2nd wheel was lose. Every time I tried to put the bridge on it would not settle. I had screwed it down and it broke the pin on the escapement wheel. On my third escapement wheel now. I looked with my x25 and saw the gem move when I touched it. As can be seen it rotated. The 2nd wheel did not site. I have obtained a new bridge. It took an hour to site it correctly. All the wheels now rotate. Whew? 

Just finished the keyless works. Put it way for the day. Will come back tomorrow.

I don't have the skill or equipment to secure the gem.20220327_131228.thumb.jpg.6efa4dd67a3c28de740f38a7db7316ae.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
grammar

I bought a spare Wittnauer Revue 79 movement for the balance assembly.  Mine had a completely missing hairspring and I missed that in the auction...rooky mistake.  The spare was advertised as having a "wobbly staff" which is scary if your getting it for the balance assembly.  When I tore it down, I found this pivot...which was impressive and made me feel much better about the balance.  Anyway, my watch is fixed and wonderful!

20220222_195916.JPG

20220223_170917541_iOS.jpg

• Like 2

Just completed a rebuild. Everything except the balance. Could not get it to oscillate. On the other side, the month plate I did not install as I could not figure how to move the spring.  Anyway, to learn and practice, I have just removed all the calendar works, keyless works, Escapement bridge and palate fork. I  have left the train of wheels and escapement wheel in place. I will now do a rebuild again.

Practice makes ....

Don't you just love it when a plan, ...almost... comes together.

Getting there.

Regards

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
spelling

Wow! What a learning curve. 3 strip downs. Could not get the wheels to turn. Finally, after watching a video a number of times I realised that I was not getting the click to be operated on the crown wheel which is on the barrel spring. I had just been placing the crown wheel onto the barrel. No adjustment to make the click operate. Aagh! All the videos of this particular movement are accompanied with music. No verbal's. Got there. The main spring now winds. I can move the Pallet fork and the escapement operates. 

As a novice. It is such a sense of achievement. Felt I had to tell you all. Sorry to be a bore.

Regards

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
grammar
  • Like 2