ETA 2789-1

Hello again. 

I am new to the hobby. I have an ETA 2789-1 movement. The stem has snapped near to the movement body. I have attached photographs. My question is:-

Do I have to disassemble the whole movement to achieve a removal? As can be seen, the stem release pin seems to be solid. Can I get to it without have to remove all?  I am worried that as I have a lack of expertise I will not be able to get the movement back together. I have purchase a replacement crown and stem.

Any advice, positive or negative, would be appreciated.

Thank you

Ross

20220223_152412.jpg

20220223_152441.jpg

20220223_152502.jpg

20220223_152512.jpg

Hi Ross.

ETA 2789-1 has a date ring so you will encounter fiddly springs if you attack from dial side, but not much can go wrong when you approach from the rotor side.

1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

I am worried that as I have a lack of expertise I will not be able to get the movement back together. 

So take pix as you go. 

Remove the two screws( gun metal colour)  to the auto device,   the module with rotor attached will come off.

Release barrel power by pushing the crown wheel ring aside.

Remove ratchet wheel screw

Remove barrel bridge.

You have access to the stem. 

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ross I see the members have come to your assistance, have you tried a little releasing agent   ie WD40 on the release to soften any gunk before taking it apart as suggested, Although If you are stripping it to cleanand lube no problem, do as the chaps have suggested.    good luck

• Thanks 1

Many thanks. So good to have help like yourselves.

I am at the stage where I have the items (tools) to do. basic tool kit. Cleaning tools, ultrasonic, oil and oilers. I can as suggested, remove a balance. I can see what 'LittleWatchShop' is suggesting. I'll try that way first. Crown wheel screw removal.  Job for tomorrow. I will keep you all posted.

Regards

Ross

Update. Got as far as crown wheel removal. Bottled out doing more. Put it all back together. Will do the same and more again tomorrow. Ratchet wheel and barrel. The bridge over the keyless works (probably got all the names wrong). As suggested, I've also used a cotton swab with WD40 and applied it to the broken stem and release.

Ross

Tricky.  I have been in similar situations before...some far worse than this.  I think there is some rust and/or corrosion that has occurred.  At this stage, I would drop some penetrating oil on the keyless works and let it set for awhile...maybe a day.

Then, using a small screwdriver, wedge where I have shown and twist, applying outward radial force on the stem.  You will probably have to re-dress your screwdriver after this.

Alternatively, I would remove EVERYTHING else from the main plate and immerse it in penetrating oil...again...for a day or so.  The try again.

A possible, yet more dangerous next step would be to construct a jig so that the plate can be mounted orthogonal on a staking tool and tape down (an inward radial force) because there appears to be some room for it to move in that direction.  This is a last resort solution IMHO.

wedge.png

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

The stem is slightly moveable. 

So the stem could be stuck either to the crown pinion or sliding pinion or both,  as said penetrating oil helps.

Stem release button looks pushed down enough to release the stem, in addition to what littlewatchshop shows you got access to more point to grab the stem, for instance the big groove on the winding crown side. 

If no joy, I often loosen bridge screws on the gear bridge, half a turn the screw close to the balance , one and half turn the other screw, this will let you raise the gear bridge a little and  slide the barrel out, there will then be enough space to press the stem out by pressing on the stem end with a pair of thin long nose pliers as pliers press on the stem end strong enough to break it loose of anywhere its stuck.

So far you have had no spring to jump out and get lost. if no tool slips you have done just fine.

• Thanks 1

The stem release button will not move when being pressed. The stem, using tweezer can rotate and appears to move linear. The sliding pinion does slide. The winding pinion winds with the stem but does appear lose.  What is the stem release button attached to? I can't seem to find that detail in the parts listing.

I tried the hard pressure by screwdriver. No joy.

Good fun though. Loving learning.

Ross

23 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

What is the stem release button attached to? 

A spring ( keyless bridge) pushes on the stem release, which keeps it in place. 

You are close to a full tear down, a clean and lube is seems inevitable.  When you get to tearing the date complication, do so inside a ziplpc bag, no part can flies out of the bag.

I don't see howelse you can clean the keyless.

• Thanks 1

Nucejoe

What a really good idea 'do so inside a ziplpc bag, no part can flies out of the bag'. I'll do that.

Why, you may ask? My bride found two gears I did not know I had lost She wanted to hoover our floor. But, before she did, she spent time using a large magnet over the floor. I said 'No need'. She said, 'Just in case'. 

Ross

49 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Nucejoe

What a really good idea 'do so inside a ziplpc bag, no part can flies out of the bag'. I'll do that.

Why, you may ask? My bride found two gears I did not know I had lost She wanted to hoover our floor. But, before she did, she spent time using a large magnet over the floor. I said 'No need'. She said, 'Just in case'. 

Ross

I also spread a large white plastic sheet on carpet at home, the type of sheet  used for big table mats  and sit in the middle of it to dismantle movements, parts that fly will often land on it and can be easily spotted. One obviously wouldn't do so in a watch shop and become a laughing stock to others.  

• Thanks 1

Here I am unlocking a shock spring inside a bag, no chance of loosing the endstone or jewel, same with tiny springs. A small ziploc will do and  finding the endstone in small bag is easier. Notice I am not wearing gloves, the bag works as glove in this case.

https://cdn.watchrepairtalk.com/monthly_2019_01/IMG-20190103-WA0005.jpg.7f5f509d2e25dce1359d4ab130ec8ea3.jpg

• Like 1

Aha! I was thinking something different, as in you were disassembling the movement in a big see-through bag.

'A picture paints a thousand words'! 

More like when Mr. Lovick uses a plastic sheet to protect hands when being levered off. 

• Like 1

I let all discoloured pieces soak in Coca-Cola for 48hrs, then rinse under tap, use powder laundry detergent as abrasive and a used tooth brush to scrub the parts with,  you be surprised with the result,   its then ready for a bath in ultrasonic.

• Thanks 1

Thank you LittleWatchShop. Did not realise that the part was the setting Lever, or that is was in two pieces.

Nucejoe. Coca-cola? Trip to the Supermarket for me tomorrow. I've not drunk Coca-Cola for over 40 years. My Ultrasonic bath arrived today. cheap one. I need to watch a few videos on how to use the thing. All the directions are in Chinese. 

Regards

Ross