Hello from Michigan. New watch enthusiast with a broken Seamaster

nicholas421

Hi all. I have 3 watches but my daily one has been the Omega Seamaster Deville for years. Unfortunately it stopped working. Found this site while Googling what i should do. I sent it in for repair and this is the email response I got: 

"I received the watch and looked it over today.  This is an omega that has a 2 piece stem, the stem needs to be "cut" apart in order to remove the movement from the cae.  I can see that your stem is badly rusted and as of right now, I can't get the movement out of the case.  If I continue to try and separate the male and female stem parts, I can almost guarantee you that the stem is going to break.  The problem then is there are no replacement parts available.  What do you want me to do?"

The watch has sentimental value and I'd like to get it fixed. Is it true replacement parts are not available? Thanks. 

IMG_20220124_183730.jpg

17 minutes ago, nicholas421 said:

Is it true replacement parts are not available? 

Yes and no (sorry, no point in discussing on this complicated matter in details here), if it's just about a split stem possibly a replacement can be found, a master watchmaker would be able to make one from scratch, and of course an Omega official service center could repair it -- for an high price.

Just now, Nucejoe said:

Welcome to WRT forum.

Where are you located?         What caliber is ticking inside?         What repair costs are you guoted? 

Answer to above questions helps us give you a good advice. 

Oh I  didn't notice you are in Michigan. make it answer to the remaining questions. 

Hello and welcome to the forum    The caliber numbers on the movements are of gtreat help when trying to locate spare parts, either new or decond user. So If you could remove the backs and post pictures of the movements it would be reat,   thanks

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

What caliber is ticking inside? 

Hello and Welcome Michigan. Lovely state.

Sorry about your problem.  If the stem is rusty, there may be rust elsewhere in the watch.  As noted, a stem can be readily made, other parts...dunno.  I imagine someone can find parts for the watch...given enough time.  The response you got may really mean, "For me to fix this it will cost you more money that you will be willing to pay."

Where there is a will, there is a way...but you may have to pay.

9 hours ago, watchweasol said:

So If you could remove the backs and post pictures of the movements it would be great. 

Here's that isn't just possible,as it's a monocoque case with split stem and no caseback. Anyway the reference could be on the outside, it's also possible to tell which mov.t it uses from the picture above.