Hello from good old Germany

UhrTobi

Hello,

I'm just a beginner, too, and I'm verry interested in mechanical watches at all. I'm a physicist and engineer and work in a university of applied sciences in germany. 

Because I get a new watch from "Mühle Glashütte", there is a high motivation for me to do the service by my self. So obviously there will be  5 years time (following the manual) to learn how to do that until the first service will be necessary (please excuse my poor englisch - it's not my highest qualification 😉). I will did my first practice on a Seiko watch with a 7S26C movement. And I dissassembled it following the youtube videos, clean it and put it together again two times, and it's still alive 😀.  But it has some problems I'm not able to solve - I will post in a an other threat. I do al lot of 3D-printing, so I developed a couple of tools such as a movement holder, a wheel centerer and a hand placer by my self and produce it by my 3D-printer - and all works fine 😄

Thats all from me for this time and I'm verry glad to be here.

Many thanks and best regards from good old Germany

Tobi

• Like 1

Welcome.

I like the sound of the 3D printing, you'll have to post some pics of the tools and movement holders you have made.

I quite like the look of the Mühle Glashütte 29 ER Day/Date on the metal strap and the chronograph with the white dial.  I do like a red second hand on a watch too.

Many thanks! 😀

Yes, your are right, my "Mühle" is a 29er, too . Because I'm not at home, I can only post the rendered views at this time. You can see the hand placer an some tiny tools such as the wheel centerer, the movement holder but also an oil bowl and - I don't know the correct name is - a barrel assebler. Some of them are made out of CFK-PLA such as the lower part of the barrel assebler, the movement holder and the hand placer. To get a fine surface I presst some hot ball-bearing balls in the pits of the oil bowl. All axes are made from 6mm-steel and the threaded rods are M6x1🙂

best regards

Tobi

hand placer.png

tiny tools.png

• Like 2

Herzlich willkommen, herr Tobi.  I have lived in the US all my life, but my family can here from München and surrounding cities. Ich spreche eine kleine Deutsch, aber es ist lange her, dass ich diese Sprache viel gesprochen habe.  I need to practice more.
Enjoy our forum.  It has many valuable resources.  And there are experts here who can help with a wide range of difficulties.  Have fun!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UhrTobi said:

Many thanks! 😀

Yes, your are right, my "Mühle" is a 29er, too . Because I'm not at home, I can only post the rendered views at this time. You can see the hand placer an some tiny tools such as the wheel centerer, the movement holder but also an oil bowl and - I don't know the correct name is - a barrel assebler. Some of them are made out of CFK-PLA such as the lower part of the barrel assebler, the movement holder and the hand placer. To get a fine surface I presst some hot ball-bearing balls in the pits of the oil bowl. All axes are made from 6mm-steel and the threaded rods are M6x1🙂

best regards

Tobi

hand placer.png

tiny tools.png

Very impressive

Hey UhrTobi!

Great to see your 3D printed stuff.  Certainly interested in your watch-related creations.  I am a big 3D guy myself.  I do my designs in FreeCAD (because it is free!!).

BTW...your English is better than my German!!!  I used to teach a short course in Berlin (twice a year) back in the '80s.  Learned enough to get around but have since lost it.

Nice work.

BTW...your English is better than my German!!!  I used to teach a short course in Berlin (twice a year) back in the '80s.  Learned enough to get around but have since lost it.

Thats nice - thank you, I give my verry best 😉.

Certainly interested in your watch-related creations.

Ok, here it is 🙂 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5196938 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 4:41 AM, UhrTobi said:

Ok, here it is

Nice.  Intrigued by this comment: "All threads must be cut and all holes must be drilled using alcohol, otherwhise the PLA stick to the cutter tool!"  I know that drilling pla is tricky because the friction heats up the bit and melts the PLA.  Is alcohol (IPA) the solution?

Here is a thing I made to stabilize a balance cock while working on it.  I posted about it in the tools section. It is just a puck with a bunch of holes in it.

2022-01-28 10_25_53-20220128_090249-1.jpg ‎- Photos.png

Hello,

in the link above, there ist a universal movement holder implemented. I used it since a view weeks and it works fine.

I know that drilling pla is tricky because the friction heats up the bit and melts the PLA.  Is alcohol (IPA) the solution?

There must be any sort of cooling. I use ethanol (we call it in germany "Spiritus" - it is ethanol with a additive so it is not possible to drink and because of this, there is no alcohol-tax on it). But IPA woud work, too. Water would be a solution, too, but I do not use this because auf corrossion of the tools. Eaven oil would be possible, but I'm not sure, that there would be no interference with the PLA. 

Here is a thing I made to stabilize a balance cock while working on it.  I posted about it in the tools section. It is just a puck with a bunch of holes in it.

Looks like a practical solution 🙂