How to remove dial when foot screw broke in half?

Hi Everyone!

Happy holidays! I'm in a bit of a pickle and was wondering if someone can help please. You see, I was starting work on a Cardinal watch with a Poljot 2415 Orbita movement and when I got to the part of removing the dial, I noticed one foot was already loose from the mainplate whilst the other was still being held by a screw with a missing head. That's when I noticed it was on the case cushion so it looked like the screw broke in half. I haven't even touched it so I suspect the previous guy may have omitted one of the screws and most likely snapped off the other one without realising.

The problem now is I can't remove the dial as its's till being held securely albeit on one foot by a broken screw. Short of just snapping the foot off when lifting the dial, does anyone have a nifty trick or good advice on how to remove the screw to completely free up the watch dial? I could probably get a very fine drill bit and drill it out? 

Here's some pictures so everyone will know what I mean.

Dial Screw Location

1980309979_InkedIMG_5316-Copy_LI.jpg.f666c9cc62b3bda59e731e9db6039034.jpg

Missing Screw Head

820737110_InkedIMG_5310-Copy_LI.jpg.d981e8cc76bc4878431a46be7fc14e96.jpg

The Little Rascal

1336989246_IMG_5308-Copy.JPG.5a32c86ba541181d11bd800388551b91.JPG     1220675152_IMG_5307-Copy.JPG.b8dda4a3cba107c06e14166478e9389b.JPG

Maybe I can just gouge the side of the movement and hopefully dig out the remaining screw, like a rough job surgery.

Thank you in advance and you all keep healthy and safe.

Regards,

Jesse

Hi   What I would do is to dismantle the watch leaving the front plate and dial to facilitate easier access and minimise any slip ups, Then with a sharp needle see if you can gain a purchase on the remaining screw and work it out  failing that drilling may be the only option if you have no LHthread screw removers.  broken screws are always a PIA but some times patience pays off.      good luck

• Thanks 1

You can try taking the largest drill bit which gets in the hole , and on the non cutting end grind two faces (if possible leaving their top flat) which can bite into the broken screw when rotated counter-clockwise. That is, shaped the other way than a regular drill bit. The idea is that either by hand or with a electric screwdriver, they grab and undo the screw without causing any damage to the female threading.

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2021 at 10:56 PM, jdm said:

You can try taking the largest drill bit which gets in the hole , and on the non cutting end grind two faces (if possible leaving their top flat) which can bite into the broken screw when rotated counter-clockwise. That is, shaped the other way than a regular drill bit. The idea is that either by hand or with a electric screwdriver, they grab and undo the screw without causing any damage to the female threading.

Thanks for the tip. I tried this with a needle that's thick enough and sanded angles on opposite sides so it's like a chisel or small scredriver but it's just stuck there the screw.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:52 PM, watchweasol said:

Hi   What I would do is to dismantle the watch leaving the front plate and dial to facilitate easier access and minimise any slip ups, Then with a sharp needle see if you can gain a purchase on the remaining screw and work it out  failing that drilling may be the only option if you have no LHthread screw removers.  broken screws are always a PIA but some times patience pays off.      good luck

Thanks. I'll give this a go and hopefully will turn. If not, I'll remove the bridge that's blocking the foot and tap it out.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:27 PM, Nucejoe said:

Remove these 3 bridge, barrel bridge,  train gear...., cock to gain access to the bottom of the foot , push on the the bottom with a thick needle , you may need to tap to punch the foot out. 

Thanks heaps. This might help and definitely will try. 

Thanks again everyone for your tips. 

Jesse

19 hours ago, HouseofGeorge said:

I tried this with a needle that's thick enough and sanded angles on opposite sides so it's like a chisel or small scredriver but it's just stuck there the screw.

Were you able to exercise both pressure and rotation at the same time? That is key, one would need to grab the tool with a pin vise or electrical screwdriver.

4 minutes ago, jdm said:

Were you able to exercise both pressure and rotation at the same time? That is key, one would need to grab the tolls with a ping vise or electrical screwdriver.

I would believe so yes. Held the pin with a pin vise so I have good grip but it wouldn't budge. I can perhaps attach it to a Dremel or similar tool and make another attempt. It is a true test of patience and hand/eye coordination.

So far, Broken Screw 2, myself 0.

I did something like this awhile back. I took an old screwdriver that was the same diameter as the screw head. Then I cut off the tip of the screwdriver and cut off a small piece until the cross sectional profile is like a 'D'. Then I wedge the tip into the hole and engage the remaining half of the screw head. 

One more thing, dripping some WD40 into the screw hole while you make this tool helps.

• 3 months later...

Just to keep everyone up to date, I eventually had to get access from the movement side by removing the train bridge and wheels then hammer the dial feet out until it freed itself. 

You can see from the first two pictures the groove the screw has created while I hammered it out.

dial1.thumb.jpg.726326cbf3486080ef6448e04cb09d8f.jpg

dial2.thumb.jpg.f3d0b3f79abb8ee4a5eb2c97214f5c64.jpg

The next picture shows the other foot intact albeit a screw imprint for comparison.

dial3.thumb.jpg.0bfd6dbde98a86456f853a3454ea5fa6.jpg

So onwards to servicing the watch. 🙂