Which Clock Have You Got Coming In The Mail (or you are picking up)? Show Us !!!

Michael1962

Got this today for the grand total of $5 AUD. I think that this would qualify for the 404 club based on that. lol

New suspension spring is required to get it going, but I am fairly sure that based on what @oldhippy said, I may well use the movement in this as a practice test bed.

Just got to work out where to put it when I get it home.🤔

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.cf3645d4200085d35b811a182ff0c436.jpg

• Like 1

I see it isn't standing on a carpet which is a good thing. My advice is don't put it on a carpet, if you do make sure it isn't near were anyone walks as it can up set the balance of the case and the clock could stop. If you do so screw the case to the wall so it can't move. 

• Like 1

Here is a strange one that arrived this week. It is a German book style alarm clock. It was not working due to dirt / grime and the lower bushing that holds the balance had been moved too low. Yes the owner had fiddled!!! ( notice the smeared dial )

But it does have great sentimental value so I agreed to try and fix.It is now running on test. See below some pics in no particular order.

D61AAF13-258B-401E-BA0A-21931C38336B.thumb.jpeg.d70b109c49236effdf73803576dbd596.jpeg5289D3CD-626E-4E29-8403-DDFC2B4CE30A.thumb.jpeg.f44a688c13ccf885bb41114db335cb28.jpeg391C680B-8620-43AF-8FDF-9CD9B680D0E3.thumb.jpeg.d40eac3cf0364c40fa0f4be3e22e0b24.jpeg

• Like 3

The doors act as a hinge so it can be displayed upright and one of the doors inside has a cut out for a photograph this one had a picture of the customers mother , hence the sentimental attachment. The movement is a two jewel pin lever. The mainsprings are held in open barrels without a closing lid and on a full wind it seems to run for approx 2 days. 

That is German made by Kienzle, it's a  Westminster chime and should run for 8 days. It was made before 1939. Nice clock and depending on the case and wood can determine on it loudness.  Look after it and it will last another 90 or so years, unlike the modern crap of today. Keep it away from central heating as it will dry out the oil and the wood.  

• Like 1

I've yet to put my GB mantle on the bench but in the meantime, this wee beauty was at an auction. I wasn't going to buy it but when it dropped to just £10 I couldn't resist! It's in quite a state but the cabinet has potential - love the window and the movement looks whole (it came with a bag of bits including the suspension spring and various bits of wood) but needs a lot of TLC. Maker appears to be HAC but I've not seen one like this before.

HAC Wall Clock (1).jpg

HAC Wall Clock (2).jpg

HAC Wall Clock (3).jpg

HAC Wall Clock (4).jpg

• Like 1

Roger, doesn't look to bad going by the photos. I see it has an inside count wheel strike. It will have an 8 day duration. It has a scale at the bottom of the back, that is to help you to have the clock level on the wall. The tip of the pendulum should hang in the dead center of the scale before you start the swing of the pendulum which makes me think the pallets might be friction tight.  These movements are common.  At £10 you have a very good deal. 

56 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Roger, doesn't look to bad going by the photos. I see it has an inside count wheel strike. It will have an 8 day duration. It has a scale at the bottom of the back, that is to help you to have the clock level on the wall. The tip of the pendulum should hang in the dead center of the scale before you start the swing of the pendulum which makes me think the pallets might be friction tight.  These movements are common.  At £10 you have a very good deal. 

Thank OH, it's all part of the learning curve and I'm looking forward to stripping it down. But as Michael1962 says, just need to find somewhere to hide before the complaints come in! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.