Name of the parts described?

DFKG

Hello all, I am totally new to W.R and am glad to be here. I've introduced myself but this is my first question. Please forgive my ignorance as I am also new to movement work..... I am in the middle of disassembling my first ever movement, a cheap slava 2428. There are two jewels in this movement which are held in by a brass ring with 3 tiny lugs around its outside which slot under a recess in the movements casing. One of which is on the top of the balance wheel. Well one of these pinged out of my tweezers across the room and god only knows where it is!!!(beginner,lol...) Could someone please tell me what this type of jewel and it's lugged brass ring are called so I can order a new one. And the best place to get them from would also help... Many thanks......

Edited by DFKG
Mistake

• DFKG changed the title to Name of the parts described?

Looking at the Ranfft entry; http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Slava_2428 this seems to be a difficult movement for a first attempt - see his comments about the stem and the calendar - so go carefully.

Re the lost jewel and setting, someone may be able to provide a parts list to identify them, but they may not be available any longer. You could buy an assortment, and hope something fits or can be modified, or (best option) keep looking for the part you lost. They usually turn up sooner or later.

Edited by Klassiker

As @Klassiker has already said the 3 lugged ring you refer to is actually the shock protection spring, and if you can't find it your best bet is to track down a donor movement (eBay perhaps?) and cannibalise one from that.

The Slava 2428 is a fun movement, and a bit different from the norm. If you want any guidance on your rebuild check out the link;

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/5232-those-crazy-russians-my-1000th-post/?tab=comments#comment-53022

On 9/30/2021 at 8:49 AM, Nucejoe said:

Are you talking about the shock spring?  

Every watch repairman hides a strong magnet in his bag of tricks.

Strong magnet will find the spring for you sooner or the next day. 🤠

Regs

I would of thought a magnet anywhere near watch making tools & parts would be a bad thing? Your gonna say I need a demagnetiser now? Lol... Even now some of the tiny screws slightly stick to certain tools like there slightly magnetised! Is that a bad thing? Do u recommend demagnetising everything I work on? Or is that slight amount not worth worrying about? Probably due to cheap tools?

3 minutes ago, DFKG said:

I would of thought a magnet anywhere near watch making tools & parts would be a bad thing? Your gonna say I need a demagnetiser now? Lol... Even now some of the tiny screws slightly stick to certain tools like there slightly magnetised! Is that a bad thing? Do u recommend demagnetising everything I work on? Or is that slight amount not worth worrying about? Probably due to cheap tools?

Demagin all parts and tools is a good idea. 

I let the spring find my magnet first and demag if your have a demag -er.  Considering the small mass of the spring, its not going to affect surrounding parts much, not strong enough to make hairspring coils stick. I doubt your timegrapher would notice the difference.

Regs