Hello from beautiful Spring, TX

Clrncd

Hello everyone. Retired guy here finally made home in Texas where my watch love brought to me a "keeps on ticking" Timex from the 1970's or previous. Wondering if anyone could lead me in correct direction to service meaning dissemble, lubricate, and re-assemble to save me $400? Would love do this myself as local Role* practitioners confirm to me "fine watch, (yet) you will still pay the premium price." That is 10x purchase price! Thank you in advance any information y'all can provide.

1630670247495761700724605054824.jpg

On 9/3/2021 at 1:58 PM, Clrncd said:

Wondering if anyone could lead me in correct direction to service meaning dissemble, lubricate, and re-assemble

Welcome. Disassembling Timex watches is not recommended for a beginner, because it requires re-assembly, which is not easy or conventiona. You will find some reasoning on why in the below, and in various more discussions.

On 9/3/2021 at 1:58 PM, Clrncd said:

That is 10x purchase price! 

When it's about servicing low material value watches, the first question should be "is that really necessary?". If it does not keep good time, an attempt to demagnetize and regulate should be made first. Since the "right" tools and environment to do that "almost professionally" can set one off €200 easily, that sets things in perspective I think.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clrncd said:

Hello everyone. Retired guy here finally made home in Texas where my watch love brought to me a "keeps on ticking" Timex from the 1970's or previous. Wondering if anyone could lead me in correct direction to service meaning dissemble, lubricate, and re-assemble to save me $400? Would love do this myself as local Role* practitioners confirm to me "fine watch, (yet) you will still pay the premium price." That is 10x purchase price! Thank you in advance any information y'all can provide.

1630670247495761700724605054824.jpg

$400 to service a Timex in Texas?  Say "Howdy partner" to TEXAS _ MO!

Truly I appreciate the plethora advisory and links to the video. One my past lives was "auto-mechanic." Clearly- I do not have the steadiness of motion to accomplish these tasks. The gentleman in the offered Mickey dissemble video has an adroitness that I do not plus a remarkable patience.

I conclude that my avocation in watch repair shall remain fantasy but will not discount wearing a shiny watch missing only one complication (day). Thank you all.

16307804850868916304989583716340.jpg

26 minutes ago, Clrncd said:

I do not have the steadiness of motion to accomplish these tasks

Don't be put off by watchmakers doing intricate manoeuvres in seconds, either they've spent their lives learning those skills or the video is edited to pretend that they have. There's plenty of methods to do things right, if you have the patience. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...