Help with JLC 424 balance please

8 hours ago, VWatchie said:

I have done quite a few Vostoks (24XX) and all of them had at least one shim under the balance cock and sometimes two. These shims are smooth and quite soft and my guess is that they compensate for irregularities on the surfaces of the main plate and the underside of the cock which could otherwise cause the situation depicted in @HSL's excellent illustration.

Well, JM2C...

I have a very limited experiance from these ones, I havent had any with shims yet, but good to know they are common with these calibers. Maybe it is a result from rough machining who knows.
About the illustrations I decided not to post to much material I haven't produced myself, one never knows in these days.
Here is one I forgott to post earlier.. Just for fun.

Effect of shims 2.png

Edited by HSL
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HSL said:

Maybe it is a result from rough machining who knows.

I've previously been in touch with Dmitry at meranom.com who's very tight with the people at the Vostok factory. I just posted a question to him to ask if he can explain the reason for this "shim design". If and when he replies I'll forward it to this thread. BTW, I think he is a member on WRT, perhaps @Dmitry?

Mark put out a video on youtube in watch repair regulating lesson titled; 

"   SETTTING A WATCH IN BEAT  " 

which  you can google and watch the vid.

He encounters  a case of jouging, mentions that jouging is a frowned upon practice, but continues and  ends up with perfect amplitude dispite the jouge.

Cock tilted down does not create a problem if just a little lowered.