Hello from rainy Oregon

Learning

Hi Folks

I am 74 years old and took up working on watches when I retired in 2009. In my opinion, after getting deeper into the world of watches I understand how much of a rookie to the game I really am! I am going to start out as a listener first to get a feel for things on this forum. But, if anyone would take the time to say hi and answer one question that has been bothering me for sometime now I would be most grateful. When I was regulating a cheap watch with Chinese movement, I found that every time I moved the regulating arm that the beat error would change. Should that happen? I know that when I adjust the beat error the timing is affected. I didn't think it worked both ways. Have I been wrong all this time? If your laughing at this please refer to the word "rookie" above...

Thanks

Learning

I find your title interesting as not all parts of Oregon are known for rain.

Your question is relatively easy to answer providing I make assumptions. Always nice if you would post a picture of your watch and maybe a make and model number. This is because there is way too many variations and my answer will not fit for all watches.

On older watches this wouldn't happen typically. The stud would be held fixed to the balance bridge. The regulator pins would be controlled by the regulator arm directly and the beat would not change. But modern watches to allow more adjustment or basically easier to regulate at the factory everything can be movable. To understand this am attaching an image as you can see the regulator arm is on top of the regulator pins on top of the stud. There held in place by friction move one and conceivably they will all move. This is where you really should have a timing machine if you're going to move anything just to make sure everything is going in the direction you think it should.

watch regulating components.JPG

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

How big of a change are we talking? 

You may see slight change in beat error with fixed stud holders too,  imperfections in terminal curve can push the coil to the side therefor the impulse pin out of beat,  as you move the regulator arm.

Hello and welcome to the forum ,  I think JohnR's diagrams sum it all up succinctly, There are two types one with a fixed stud and one with a movable stud. The fixed stud type, the beat should not be affected when the regulator is moved other than as Joe suggests its bearing on the spring.  The loose stud type can move when moving the regulator and therefore will affect the beat,  There fore the need for a timegrapher or equivalent when regulating watches is useful tool to have.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.