Junghans movement hints

bsoderling

Hi all,

I got another 60’s kitchen clock to work on. 

Movement photos are attached.

one of the wheels needed a bit of attention and I got that fixed and after some basic cleaning and oiling, the movement runs.

The overall design is however new to me and I would appreciate any advice on service and lubrication ”specials” as I’m a newbie on these ”big things”.

Fundamentally I guess it’s a pin lever design? 

The balance wheel appears to be ”floating” by using what I suppose are two opposite mounted magnets and there’s a thin metal wire going through the ”staff” to keep things in place. Should end with really low friction but obviously only works when the movement is correctly placed. Curious to hear if this needs any special consideration or just leave as is?

Thanks!

5F9293FD-B5EE-4021-BB63-28D7A9234AA4.jpeg

C604120C-0416-4BE4-9DF2-E08F94063210.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks watchweasol,

So Hermle was the big guys for floating balances? Makes sense as I tried to google for Junghans Exacta and had very little feedback.

Well, the movement is running and it seems I can adjust timing. It's a slow beat thing at just 9000 BPH.

The amplitude is not a lot,  appr 180 degrees between turning points but maybe that's what to expect from this design?

Yeah, it's a bit counterintuitive to introduce strong magnets, at least that close to the h/s. It took me quite a while to grasp what was going on there, with the apparent huge "end shake" in the balance...?

Any idea what kind of amplitude one should expect in a design like this?

• 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• @Jon The link is no longer working and I wanted to see that demonstration again. Is there any chance you can make it available again? I'd appreciate it!
    • Or, if you have a staking set or jewelling too, just use one of the stumps. You can choose a fine tip to fit inside a jewel if necessary.
    • Good morning,   To be honest, I'm not sure I trust my own logic anymore 😅. But here's a picture of my own (failed!) attempt to install a new rotor axle. I punched way to hard and even split the metal of the rotor. My thinking was that, in my case, the axle sits "deeper" in the rotor and hence the rotor would be closer to the movement plates. Vice versa, I was thinking that a very light punch could cause the rotor to sit rather high. But not sure that makes sense because in both cases, the flat part of the axle and the rotor align equally.     Sorry, but is he saying that the outside of the caseback has been polished to such an extent that the inside of the caseback has deformed/sunk??? That sounds crazy to me because those casebacks are thick! Can you see any signs of that on the inside of the caseback? Have you tried screwing in the caseback a litte bit more or less so that the supposedly "sunk" part of the caseback would move from 9 o'clock to e.g. 6/7 or 11/12 o'clock?  If the caseback is truly deformed, maybe it could be punched/pressed back into shape (e.g. with glass/caseback closing press).      I agree with your choice. But yea, Rolex makes it VERY hard for independent watchmakers to do a perfect job because we can't get (original) parts easily.      Your pictures aren't too bad. But still impossible to see if the rotor isn't perfectly flat. You'd have to look at it with your loupe, from the side (like the pictures), and turn the rotor to see if the gaps (with the automatic bridge plates) increase/decrease.     Finally... how is the up/down play of the rotor? To test, take a toothpick/pegwood and press on the small triangular side of the rotor next to the axle (NOT the big side where the weight is. But the opposite side.). Does that lift up the weight-side of the rotor? There can be some play, but it should really be minimal. If there's too much play, a new spring clip is the first thing to do. After that, one could play around with the jewels. This is too much:
    • could start a new sub-brand: Bergeon-Pro Worked for Apple phones! Ah they already beat me to it:  
    • Hello, those RR pocket watches are nice watches, there are still parts around...