Junghans movement hints

bsoderling

Hi all,

I got another 60’s kitchen clock to work on. 

Movement photos are attached.

one of the wheels needed a bit of attention and I got that fixed and after some basic cleaning and oiling, the movement runs.

The overall design is however new to me and I would appreciate any advice on service and lubrication ”specials” as I’m a newbie on these ”big things”.

Fundamentally I guess it’s a pin lever design? 

The balance wheel appears to be ”floating” by using what I suppose are two opposite mounted magnets and there’s a thin metal wire going through the ”staff” to keep things in place. Should end with really low friction but obviously only works when the movement is correctly placed. Curious to hear if this needs any special consideration or just leave as is?

Thanks!

5F9293FD-B5EE-4021-BB63-28D7A9234AA4.jpeg

C604120C-0416-4BE4-9DF2-E08F94063210.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks watchweasol,

So Hermle was the big guys for floating balances? Makes sense as I tried to google for Junghans Exacta and had very little feedback.

Well, the movement is running and it seems I can adjust timing. It's a slow beat thing at just 9000 BPH.

The amplitude is not a lot,  appr 180 degrees between turning points but maybe that's what to expect from this design?

Yeah, it's a bit counterintuitive to introduce strong magnets, at least that close to the h/s. It took me quite a while to grasp what was going on there, with the apparent huge "end shake" in the balance...?

Any idea what kind of amplitude one should expect in a design like this?

• 4 months later...