ETA recognition

gary17

Hi its a long shot but worth a go.

This is a 23 jewel automatic omer watch from around the 50s 60s it has a ETA movement that begins 24 -- I know i should dismantle it to check it clearly but it has been knocked and is indistinctive.. Its just the winding stem i need damn thing snapped on me .

Last number may be 9 but its really not clear any more.

Anyoner with a idea what it may be give us a shout.

cheers

gary

IMG_20200831_223412.jpg

IMG_20200831_223421.jpg

IMG_20200831_223429.jpg

IMG_20200831_223540.jpg

Well, it’s a no date, so that narrows it down. 

24xx family should all use the same stem. 

2483 maybe?

2784 is the date movement in my 9411s. 2783 was the no date variant I think. 

last digit goes up with complications. 

no date; date; day-date

i don’t have my files here at home or I’d look it up in the old data sheets. 

efit- I forgot sometimes beat rate varied on the older movements. But I don’t think that would effect the stem. 

Edited by Tudor

Hmm..  Think you have to take off the winding mechanism and the balance bridge to be completely sure,
since it has a pin and not a screw on the oscillating weight it is a 24XX. It has no date and looks like a pure dial side so probably an
ETA 2459. 
When confirming the exact caliber if it actually says ETA 2459 you can look for any of these stems and they will probably fit since they should be the same.
ETA 2390 
ETA 2391 
ETA 2451 
ETA 2452 
ETA 2459 
ETA 2472 
ETA 2474

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• You need to know at least the basics. Then the questions that You ask will begin to make sense. From what is seen on the video, the gear train and escapement look fine, but the balance doesn't rotate free. I can suppose that the thin gold colored shim that must stay under the balance cock is not in place.
    • Yes, there are a lot of shapes and all of them are used in different cases. The one in Waltham A11 is one of the most spreaded and is what I have shown in the beginning. Of course, the radius of the final curve will depend on the distance between the hole in the stone and the regulator pins on the cock
    • I just found these. They don't really grab my eye at the moment, but having seen the change in some of the watches on here, before & after, the results have been pretty impressive. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/196382906131?itmmeta=01HXBSJJXDB5J6H916ARJP9PHE&hash=item2db9555713:g:REwAAOSwUNdmOYAZ&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwOAlUO3a1pAUX60Y8gUeXMPriraj5e7rkBNH2EA6cIUH7kb7hzoq6jRmOsYOQazk9R%2FteDESr1e50Asabv2tbJyDM%2FVODtmrAScFS4jPhHdgu6Jvt%2BFuRGBijpTkPl4NiK%2FDGr6qztc1Ujb33Tt6YdaUztOH9R1y9XJbwjH0puPDy8m0ilYcal7Vphcp7d59DLtBliNnbqfxfWhxdia2xMRyHYFHzR0Rg7NqB1z4xQGMZb73MAG4QBiF9FMkrII88Q%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_KuyvnqYw
    • I agree, it's getting harder and harder to find anything that meets the brief other than complete junk, or fake/frankenwatches. I would be in favor of raising the limit so people can continue to enjoy the challenge of resurrecting these low cost watches to their former glory and allowing the watchmaker the ability of practicing new skills without the worry of breaking the bank if all doesn't go to plan. Now all we need to do is settle on a value - maybe base the value on a standard currency so we are all playing by the same rules ($, £, €...?) Unless anyone minds I could start a poll and we could all vote on currency and value... let me know!
    • Same for me, but this is the first time I use the Bestfit. I understand that, for a 17-3/4 caliber, I have to consult page 150, but I can't find any resemblance. Thank you for all your research. I learn a little more each time I use this forum 😀