Hi all!

My name is Fallingtitan i have a watch youtube channel reviews and news based. but I like to dabble in modding and watch repair.

I have never done a full service berfore as im missing some tools. but ive taken apart seiko movements and put them back together many times just for practice.

Now I want to start learning to do an actual service on these movements since its what i deal with the most.

Stuff Im curious about is what is a good cleaning solution? what can't I put into the ultra sonic cleaner?

thanks guys! happy to be here!

Hello and welcome to the forum.  As a Hobbyist cleaning watches best to use Naptha , Benzine .  I use carburettor cleaner or brake cleaner, Both from automotive stores and rinse in IPA.  Thigs to look out for is dont soak the pallets/Fork or the balance as they use shellac and the possibility of loosening pallet jewels and impulse pin.  brush clean and rinse then dry.  Lubrication information attached.

Moebius Oil and Grease Application Chart - Leosics.co.uk.html Moebius Oil_Chart.pdf

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.  As a Hobbyist cleaning watches best to use Naptha , Benzine .  I use carburettor cleaner or brake cleaner, Both from automotive stores and rinse in IPA.  Thigs to look out for is dont soak the pallets/Fork or the balance as they use shellac and the possibility of loosening pallet jewels and impulse pin.  brush clean and rinse then dry.  Lubrication information attached.

Moebius Oil and Grease Application Chart - Leosics.co.uk.html 37.06 kB · 0 downloads Moebius Oil_Chart.pdf 268.45 kB · 0 downloads

so i use like a tooth brush with some naptha on it to clean the hairspring balance and pallet?  interesting.

everything else goes in to the ultra sonic i suppose. always rinse in IPA?

Hi  The balance and spring are best dipped in a solution called "one Dip" especially for balances, Then left to dry no brushing  it is sufficient unless it is really filthy then exercise great care .  IPA dries clean no deposits  98%IPA.  Clean other parts in small jars contaonong the appropriate fluid in the ultrasonic with water half way up the jar,  Keep the lids on so water does not enter the jars.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  The balance and spring are best dipped in a solution called "one Dip" especially for balances, Then left to dry no brushing  it is sufficient unless it is really filthy then exercise great care .  IPA dries clean no deposits  98%IPA.  Clean other parts in small jars contaonong the appropriate fluid in the ultrasonic with water half way up the jar,  Keep the lids on so water does not enter the jars.

seems like one dip is obsolete? i see bergeon has b-dip!!!.

i have a 7 year old 6r15 doing 0s/day 0beat error with 199 amp. so def needs a service.

33 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Sounds like it needs a dose of looking at for sure.

There are several different flavours of the 6R15attached tech sheets for you

8693_Seiko 6R15C - Technical Guide (1).pdf 1.9 MB · 2 downloads 8955_pao024_14267_191030121314_1_6r15cd.pdf 3.75 MB · 0 downloads

I think my response disappeared? i dunno. But what are the red dotted circles with *2 or *1 around them in the parts list. if i were to follow this guide. i would begin at the TECHNICAL guide as a starting point after cleaning correct?

8 hours ago, FALLINGTITAN said:

i wonder how much mark will charge to service my movement lol!

At this time Mark Lovick is not taking watches for service or repair. If you intend to learn how to work on mechanical watch I recommend that you start with practicing on something very cheap, because there are many aspect to learn which are  are not paying money. Fortunately however the needed lubricants for a 6R15 and 99% of other watches are much, much less than C$300.

• Like 1