Jump to content

404 Club


Recommended Posts

I actually like some of the colorful dials. I have at least one in my stash, if not more. I think the one I'm thinking of was a 404, but I actually bought it because I just liked the way it looked.

Come to think of it, the Indian watches are probably what the Russian watches used to be. The real value leader. They're robust and simple and have some really good features. It's not like you can't find piles and piles of Russian watches that are, as Stephen Colbert would say, "is potato". You DON'T have to deal with the shims and crap. I don't think you get as much variety in terms of complications, but boy do you get a wide range of color! Personally, I'm no unicorn farmer, but I'm sick of all the white-black spectrum everything trend. It would be REALLY easy to specialize in HMT watches, build up a really nice parts stash from cheap Mumbai specials. Maybe even Mumbai some specials of your own... Just have a rainbow of genuinely decent, inexpensive watches to sell off for tool money, give to friends, etc.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

I actually like some of the colorful dials. I have at least one in my stash, if not more. I think the one I'm thinking of was a 404, but I actually bought it because I just liked the way it looked.

Come to think of it, the Indian watches are probably what the Russian watches used to be. The real value leader. They're robust and simple and have some really good features. It's not like you can't find piles and piles of Russian watches that are, as Stephen Colbert would say, "is potato". You DON'T have to deal with the shims and crap. I don't think you get as much variety in terms of complications, but boy do you get a wide range of color! Personally, I'm no unicorn farmer, but I'm sick of all the white-black spectrum everything trend. It would be REALLY easy to specialize in HMT watches, build up a really nice parts stash from cheap Mumbai specials. Maybe even Mumbai some specials of your own... Just have a rainbow of genuinely decent, inexpensive watches to sell off for tool money, give to friends, etc.

Maybe we should start a "Show us your HMT watches" thread.

RIMG0156.thumb.JPG.f6adb56617cb4481a6caf3de976d2592.JPG

I'll just leave this here as a taster. For a follow on, we could have a "Comrades from the USSR corner".
 

RIMG0154.thumb.JPG.885bbd740a0d7d1fb087e9ac39e1d725.JPG

 

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems like ages since I last posted on 404, here is a ladies Seiko 2906A I picked up from Ramon in the Philippines as part of a job lot, so worked out to be $1.60. I did require a new crystal (£10.12) because the original shattered when I tried to remove it and it also needed a new winding stem (£2.00) and crown (from my spares) as it arrived without these, all of the screws for the automatic works were floating around inside the movement and the pawl lever for the auto works had one arm completely broken off so needed replaced (I had one from a donor) but apart from that it's all original. Here are the before and after pictures:

PXL_20231221_124235963.thumb.jpg.7ecec0477453199a74c934f357d8c406.jpg

Here is how it looked when I first opened the back...... and you get that "it gonna be one of those watches..." feeling

0032.thumb.JPG.aa8e3fd10026d5c701bd3d7eaf75366a.JPG

And here is the finished watch:

signal-2023-12-31-081637.thumb.jpeg.0b8a5a5708832ad02d679f50cfaad59a.jpeg

Edited by Waggy
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Waggy said:

Seems like ages since I last posted on 404, here is a ladies Seiko 2906A I picked up from Ramon in the Philippines as part of a job lot, so worked out to be $1.60. I did require a new crystal (£10.12) because the original shattered when I tried to remove it and it also needed a new winding stem (£2.00) and crown (from my spares) as it arrived without these, all of the screws for the automatic works were floating around inside the movement and the pawl lever for the auto works had one arm completely broken off so needed replaced (I had one from a donor) but apart from that it's all original. Here are the before and after pictures:

PXL_20231221_124235963.thumb.jpg.7ecec0477453199a74c934f357d8c406.jpg

Here is how it looked when I first opened the back...... and you get that "it gonna be one of those watches..." feeling

0032.thumb.JPG.aa8e3fd10026d5c701bd3d7eaf75366a.JPG

And here is the finished watch:

signal-2023-12-31-081637.thumb.jpeg.0b8a5a5708832ad02d679f50cfaad59a.jpeg

Looks well tidy Waggy nice job with the case refinishing.  Original seiko strap as well ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may have shown this one before but put a new crystal on it. The bezel is beat up and the case has wear. The dial is a little damaged where the sub seconds hand must have scraped. But I really like the green numerals and looks decent on a light tan nato strap.

20240101_1914572.thumb.jpg.afeb04ebc61105a4c44ae365366364c0.jpg

I hope this post does not offend anyone and appologize if it does. I can't even remember where I picked this example up. It even could have been from someone in Ukraine.

Edited by Razz
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pobeda - Победа, Victory, from the Petrodvorets Watch Factory.

One of the few watches to appear on a postage stamp.

Yours probably has a K-26, with a design that originally came under license from the  French Lip factory

image.png.6de0a150c7909eadbdc7bc9c736a5b4e.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pobeda_(watch)

As to taking offence, the watch has nothing to do with the current regime.

image.png.cccdd91b16c0d7b26c7ef4400fc3a154.png

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Razz said:

I may have shown this one before but put a new crystal on it. The bezel is beat up and the case has wear. The dial is a little damaged where the sub seconds hand must have scraped. But I really like the green numerals and looks decent on a light tan nato strap.

20240101_1914572.thumb.jpg.afeb04ebc61105a4c44ae365366364c0.jpg

I hope this post does not offend anyone and appologize if it does. I can't even remember where I picked this example up. It even could have been from someone in Ukraine.

I dont know why you think it might offend razz. Because its beat up ? No thats just history, not everything on a watch can be made pristine and shouldnt be imo. Dials are renowned for being difficult to restore when they are in bad shape, some are virtually untouchable. Same can go for hands if corrosion has taken hold. And there is only so much that can be done with a case without getting too involved, the aesthetics of a watch still show though its age and are often enhanced, just look at tropical dials.  Personally i embrace anything that exibits its history and has lived a life,and extending its life brings me a lot of pleasure. If my dog had lost his leg in an accident i would have loved him even more. The popular concept of marketing and advertising is to have everything perfect and live in a perfect world and we should be and look perfect, sorry but that is complete bullshit in my eyes. If its because it has Russian origin and the meaning of the brand, yes that can be a topical subject. But does that mean folk should have never bought Seiko watches. Its just a watch if you enjoy it then thats the important bit covered.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, I know this is the USSR era watch and nothing to do with the current regime. But I just wanted to make sure it wasn't coming across as any type of political statement or implying anything of the sort. I will open the back up again and take a pic of the movement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Razz said:

Thanks guys, I know this is the USSR era watch and nothing to do with the current regime. But I just wanted to make sure it wasn't coming across as any type of political statement or implying anything of the sort. I will open the back up again and take a pic of the movement. 

Razz, it doesn't matter what you do mate, you are always going to upset someone if life and you can't cater for everyone. What matters is good intentions and if folk cant spot good from bad well thats just not your problem. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Razz said:

But I just wanted to make sure it wasn't coming across as any type of political statement or implying anything of the sort.

I look at it this way. The people making the watches in Russia aren't running the government. If they were, it would work much better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The watch that got me into watches turned out to be a Nazi issued officer's watch traded out of a POW camp or picked off a corpse on the Eastern front complete with field made (bayonet or maybe a folding knife) tangs to hold the crystal in. I bought it off eBay from Ukraine knowing none of this. History can be wild.

Edited by spectre6000
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Razz, it doesn't matter what you do mate, you are always going to upset someone if life and you can't cater for everyone. What matters is good intentions and if folk cant spot good from bad well thats just not your problem. 

Always good advice...but if you haven't been to the United States lately it is difficult to appreciate how polarized politically we are at the moment. Every public utterance is risky- socially...physically...

Saying this is risky...

...anyways here's a 404 for you. I think. Free. I changed the battery. Judges?

IMG_1232.thumb.jpeg.2e88959ac796eb894fbee85d76e7d727.jpeg

Edited by rehajm
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2023 at 11:35 PM, Waggy said:

Seems like ages since I last posted on 404, here is a ladies Seiko 2906A I picked up from Ramon in the Philippines as part of a job lot, so worked out to be $1.60. I did require a new crystal (£10.12) because the original shattered when I tried to remove it and it also needed a new winding stem (£2.00) and crown (from my spares) as it arrived without these, all of the screws for the automatic works were floating around inside the movement and the pawl lever for the auto works had one arm completely broken off so needed replaced (I had one from a donor) but apart from that it's all original. Here are the before and after pictures:

PXL_20231221_124235963.thumb.jpg.7ecec0477453199a74c934f357d8c406.jpg

Here is how it looked when I first opened the back...... and you get that "it gonna be one of those watches..." feeling

0032.thumb.JPG.aa8e3fd10026d5c701bd3d7eaf75366a.JPG

And here is the finished watch:

signal-2023-12-31-081637.thumb.jpeg.0b8a5a5708832ad02d679f50cfaad59a.jpeg

Waggy, this one deserves a spot in your 'biggest improvement' thread as well. I haven't forgotten that thread and one 2024 goal for me - to have one to post there as well! 

Edited by rehajm
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Razz on this forum we do watches regardless less of its history or who made it @spectre6000 mentioned the nazi watches, it wasn’t the watches fault where it ended up. If we were going to get political over them we wouldn’t handle that many. Neven would know about the iron curtain and the time pieces made then in the Eastern bloc and Russia. As @oldhippy SAID Politics belong somewhere else.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rehajm said:

Always good advice...but if you haven't been to the United States lately it is difficult to appreciate how polarized politically we are at the moment. Every public utterance is risky- socially...physically...

Saying this is risky...

...anyways here's a 404 for you. I think. Free. I changed the battery. Judges?

IMG_1232.thumb.jpeg.2e88959ac796eb894fbee85d76e7d727.jpeg

Would be no good for me, i say how i feeI, sorry for you in the US, no i haven't been for 6 years, New york seemed quite relaxed then , i walked down 5th Avenue from Times square up to Madison Garden at 4 am on my own, sat at the pond on a bench contemplating life with a coffee. Felt very safe. Fortunately i have very little interest in politics.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to Tripadvisor, it seems that you can still do a factory tour of the Petrodvorets Watch Factory.

image.png.ac35ff88bc7af31173b7b5b2feaa783e.png

So, in the unlikely event that any of you find yourself in the vicinity of St Petersburg, here is the link. 


https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1207894-d2689172-Reviews-Petrodvorets_Watch_Factory-Peterhof_Petrodvortsovy_District_St_Petersburg_Northw.html#/media-atf/2689172/90343727:p/?albumid=-160&type=0&category=-160
 

Actually, click the link anyway, there are some interesting pictures on the Tripadvisor pages.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

According to Tripadvisor, it seems that you can still do a factory tour of the Petrodvorets Watch Factory.

image.png.ac35ff88bc7af31173b7b5b2feaa783e.png

So, in the unlikely event that any of you find yourself in the vicinity of St Petersburg, here is the link. 


https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1207894-d2689172-Reviews-Petrodvorets_Watch_Factory-Peterhof_Petrodvortsovy_District_St_Petersburg_Northw.html#/media-atf/2689172/90343727:p/?albumid=-160&type=0&category=-160
 

Actually, click the link anyway, there are some interesting pictures on the Tripadvisor pages.

What on earth is it ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

I'm pretty sure they are "pad printers", sometimes called tampon printers, used to accurately print fine details on dials, but to be absolutely certain, you would need to take the factory tour. 😋

Ok , i was very close but i couldn't possibly say what i was actually thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Well I put the spa on Gumtree (selling service) to try and sell it as it only needs a recirc pump to get it going. However, it weighs circa 250kg, so there's 4 fairly strong guys, and I would have to remove the sliding door in the room completely to be able to get it out, as well as clearing out a multitude of potted plants and the Alfresco outdoor setting to be able to get it out. Then move nearly everything in the back of the garage to be able to push it through to the front of the house. I would also need to hire furniture skates to be able to shift it around as carrying it is out of the question. Then someone would need a trailer to get it to their place as you won't get it on the back of a ute. So, the only answer is, out with the reciprocating saw and cut it all up into manageable pieces. Crying shame as it is in really good nick. I was only asking $1,500 and only got two bites, but it would only take something to go wrong with removing the sliding door etc that everything I make on the sale could go out the door on repairs etc. It would have been nice to be able to turn it into tools etc, but que sera sera. I don't know about the rest of the world, but there just seems to be very little interest from people wanting to buy things secondhand.  
    • I would like to see the movement. The watch is the movement. Anyone can print a name on a dial and sell it as "the maker".
    • Thanks for your answers! There seems to be a contradiction between these two answers, so perhaps I need to clarify. The flat and convex jewels look identical on the side facing away from the pivot shoulder. That is, there is an oil reservoir. I don't know if that changes anything but I thought it was safest to clarify since I didn't include a picture of the jewels from the opposite side.
    • unfortunately paying attention to details bumps up the cost. Which is why they shortchange on manufacturing steps if they can.
    • Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum. We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement.  When it comes to tools buy the best you can afford a good set of watch makers screwdrivers if you look after them will last you a life time. I recommend Dumont tweezers Number 3 and number 5 for fine work, you can build up from there. You will need different strength eye glasses. Some now like to work using a microscope. Pliers the box jointed ones are best they don't go out of line.     
×
×
  • Create New...