Miyota 8215 - Seconds hand installation

Hi guys,

I am new to watchmaking and I am trying to build a custom watch with Miyota 8215.

Unfortunately I am very impatient when it comes to new things and I started working on the project before having all the tools (lupes and hand press).

Anyway I bended the seconds hand and then I tried to fixed it. I waited to try again until I have the hand press.

Hours and minutes hands are installed correctly but no matter what how I press the seconds hand it doesn't click and it's very loose.

Any ideas? Did I break the movement?

Video attached

:startle:

Doesn't look like a hand press would have made a diference. If the seconds hand isn't intact, I start looking for the broken piece. 

Edited by Nucejoe
seconds arbour helps

Hi   Having watched the video  like Rodabod you are using way too much pressure, just a gentle press is enough. Whats probably wrong id the second hand pipe is oversize and no amount of pressing will make it stick. I suggest you measure the shaft where the hand fits (with Vernier or Micrometer) and source a new hand.  using excess pressure may have damaged the centerwheel bottom jewel so better check that out.

This is the url for the hands:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Hands-Silver-For-3-Hands-Pilots-Watch-Fit-DG2813-Miyota8215-Movement-Lume/372861617253?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=641672576476&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Seconds hand is 11mm and it's compatible with Miyota 8215. 

So the issue is that I am pressing too hard?

I will try to straighten hands and install them again.

Any other suggestion are welcome! I am new to this and every bit of help is appreciated!

If the seconds arbour still intact, use a nail clipper to tighten the mid-section of the tube of seconds hand, you should make sure the tube is mounted on the arbour then press it home. Tube will not find the arbour itself.

• Like 1

If you think the tube size is right but got problem getting the minute arbour inside the tube, you can widen up the entery section to the tube, use a sewing needle the tip of which enters the tube.

And it's official! I broke the seconds cannon pinion. I will proceed without the seconds hand for the moment.

Lesson learned!

I am also having another problem with the case. I am following a tutorial on how to secure the case with casing clamps. The tutorial says that the clamp's bend should be facing upwards and secured under the rim  of the case. But I can't get it there. Maybe the dial and the movement are higher than they are supposed to be? Any ideas?

IMG_8796.JPG

IMG_8797.JPG

10 hours ago, black13 said:

I broke the seconds cannon pinion. I will proceed without the seconds hand for the moment. 

I think you've broken the arbor of of the seconds wheel. Cannon pinion is relative to minutes only. 

The tutorial says that the clamp's bend should be facing upwards and secured under the rim  of the case. But I can't get it there. 

Do not count on assorted parts for a Chinese watch to fit togheter right away. Adapting is always required.

Edited by jdm

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2020 at 4:52 PM, black13 said:

And it's official! I broke the seconds cannon pinion. I will proceed without the seconds hand for the moment.

Lesson learned!

I am also having another problem with the case. I am following a tutorial on how to secure the case with casing clamps. The tutorial says that the clamp's bend should be facing upwards and secured under the rim  of the case. But I can't get it there. Maybe the dial and the movement are higher than they are supposed to be? Any ideas?

I am having the EXACT same issues as you.  I have a Miyota 8215 with a set of hands where the second hand will not seat and the case clasps also not seat due to thickness of the movement... Let me know if you figure anything out!!! So frustrated

58 minutes ago, m2ouija said:

I am having the EXACT same issues as you.  I have a Miyota 8215 with a set of hands where the second hand will not seat and the case clasps also not seat due to thickness of the movement... Let me know if you figure anything out!!! So frustrated

I suppose you got all that from China? Tipically these sellers don't care about what they send as long the order is formally fullfilled. Just claim with the card issuer and get a refund.

BTW, we have a section here wheee is considered polite to introduce oneself even before asking questions.