Hairspring Havoc

Would anyone know how to straighten out the overcoil on this hairspring? It is from a slimline Bulova movement and the mis-shaped overcoil causes the hairspring to sit out of flat so that rubs on the balance wheel. The spring is just slightly out of flat, which would not cause problems on most watches but because of the movements slimness it is a real problem! 

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

I such a case two pairs of tweezers  and a great deal of patience and a steady hand, There is a good U Tube video by Mark on just that.  Before venturing to attempt the job have a look at Marks video then re assess the job based on what you have watched, if you feel confident carry on if not seek further help.all the best in your endeavour,

• Like 1

I find the overcoil very difficult to work on as it is not resting on a flat surface. You need steady hands and make very small adjustments. I recently wrecked a Universal hairspring trying to make a tweek like the one you need. The overcoil somehow got wrapped in the coils. :thumbsd:

Like many I have wrecked several hairsprings.  Often it is just tweezer control.  Working under magnification it is easy to misjudge dimensions, and often I have released the tweezer, with it opening too much only for it to mangle the hairspring. I now have a small elastic band fitted to the shank of the tweezers to limit how much they open when released. The elastic band can be moved up and down the shank to adjust the tweezer gap at the tips.  I have found this helps considerably.  But I still manage to wreck some!!!!!

Two tweezers on a hairspring is always the last resort. Sometimes the only way though. If I was doing this and it was too weird or too little access to do installed with the balance (preferred way), I'd put the spring alone on the cock and try to get it as good as possible then finish with balance in.

mark has some great videos on hairspring manipulation, unfortunately this is one of those things that will be very difficult to explain to someone with words. Best thing to do is watch videos, even videos really dont do much justice. I practice on scrap hairsprings, because one thing is tweezer pressure. Knowing the right amount of pressure is key, too much pressure can cause your hairspring to go in a completely different direction than you initially intended. Me personally I have no patience ( yes i know, why do i repair watches then? well somehow it calms me down kinda like building model airplanes, but the frustration still comes out here and there) so i always just replace the hairspring if its available.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hello good watch folk ,I  just fancied a light hearted discussion after my head was starting to spin over Epilame 😅. Specifically I'm meaning the sale of vintage watches, say nothing past the 1980s market. The stuff we see on ebay and other similar sites and found at carboots, curio shops etc. And are  we thinking its reaching a peak volume ?  Younger generations clearing out passed parents and grandparents possessions.  The younger folk are not as sentimental as the old fogies ( I'm now nearly at an age that i used to think was old fogie age ). When might it have started ?  i often wish i discovered the hobby much much sooner when selling your grandfathers pocket watch at a boot sale for a few quid was just a way to offload some tat. And when might it slow down. Thoughts anyone ?
    • Yes i did eventually realise that the oil will act as a barrier, I'm sure the discussion will continue. Ive had two oleophobic coffees ( added coconut ) and in the meantime i have this just delivered to take my mind off epilame for the time being. My favourite type of dial, its a beautiful looking watch traditional English made and it runs,  the ticktock is phenomenal,  i can hear it across my living room .  You wont believe how much it was. Thats interesting about synthetic oils , i thought the same, going from a 2 year service to 5 years is a big drop in income for service folk.  I expect some did well when they embraced the use of synthetic,  probably drawing in more customers than those that didn't use the new fangled substances , i bet fairly short lived though. The more frequent service makes more sense to me, not for just the service but for the regular check up inspections that might pick up impending faults. As far as epilame goes, wouldn't it be great to be able to fumigate the complete movement in a sealed jar of heated stearic acid, 🤔 now theres a thought 😅.
    • Imm going to close the discussion by attaching the photo of my super-titanium after several vicissitudes finally working. Purchased as not working I replaced the battery and for a stroke of luck I found its semi-new solar panel which, having verified its operation, seems to recharge the accumulator perfectly. I had taken this watch almost by bet, with 40 euros I brought it back to life. The initial half idea was to resell it to finance another purchase, but.. it's definitely a nice item. It would need to check the impermeability but it's a pleasure to see it on the wrist 😃
    • In fact the secret is to go gently and find the way without forcing, and the movement enters without problems
    • Yea a have given it a full service this movement is chinese 2813 whats the lift angle for this movement does anyone knows  and how  do a remove the default  of 52 degrees on my timegrapher?   Hi you said my lift angle is default how do a remove this from my timegrapher?