east3rn

Looking for a part! In need of help

Question

Hello.

I am now working on a vintage "trench watch" movement from 1910s that I mentioned before with a question regarding identification of the movement.

(I still haven't got the exact ref. of the movement.)

As I was disassembling the movement, my screwdriver slipped and broke one of the parts that function as a spring for the click.

I tried looking for replacement but I am not sure what I should look for.

Also, one of the jewels on the  wheel bridge is broken so I need a jewel as well. 

Could anyone advice me on how to find the correct part for click spring and the jewel for the wheel bridge??

**Could the click spring be put back together??

Thanks. You are always of great help.

20190327_121216.jpg

20190327_123704.jpg

KakaoTalk_20190331_140637453.jpg

KakaoTalk_20190331_140637127.jpg

20190327_121733.jpg

11 answers to this question

8 hours ago, east3rn said:

Hello. I think the diameter of the movement was around 27mm. I will give you exact measurement when I get home!

One of them is 25 mm . But they both have the same spring. So hope the spring is the same. Have some EB springs to . If the AS is to short one could modify the spring from one of those movements. 

First of all we need to id the movement. Could you tell me the size of it and could I have a close up photo of the movement both sides, dial off so I can see the keyless work. Sorry but my eye sight is not so good. 

It would be tricky to repair the click, but not impossible.

It wuld need to be silver soldered (Hard soldered) at the break, but done in such a way you don't heat up the whole click as then it would loose its spring.

to be repalce the jewel you would need a jeweling tool.

You need to measure the diameter of the pivot that goes through the broken jewel and the hole the jewel is in.

to measure this you would need to remove the jewel. If the jewel comes out in you part you can just measure the jewel, then you would need to find a Seitz jewel that is the correct size. If you cant find one exactly the same find one with the correct pivot hole and dlightly larger diameter. You would then need to use the jeweling tool  to ream out the hole to the correct size and fit the jewel.

Mark has done a good video on this in the past.

Unless you plan on taking up the hobby serious a jeweling tool will probably be beyond what you want to spend, even a second hand one.

13 hours ago, Tmuir said:

It would be tricky to repair the click, but not impossible.

It wuld need to be silver soldered (Hard soldered) at the break, but done in such a way you don't heat up the whole click as then it would loose its spring.

to be repalce the jewel you would need a jeweling tool.

You need to measure the diameter of the pivot that goes through the broken jewel and the hole the jewel is in.

to measure this you would need to remove the jewel. If the jewel comes out in you part you can just measure the jewel, then you would need to find a Seitz jewel that is the correct size. If you cant find one exactly the same find one with the correct pivot hole and dlightly larger diameter. You would then need to use the jeweling tool  to ream out the hole to the correct size and fit the jewel.

Mark has done a good video on this in the past.

Unless you plan on taking up the hobby serious a jeweling tool will probably be beyond what you want to spend, even a second hand one.

Well that is a good news! May be I should check on Mark's video.

Hope the jeweling tool is not super expensive..haha..

Thank you for your helpful advice!

13 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Ooops . Have a couple of movement with such spring. Not the exact same type but it's AS . Can we measure and maybe i can have one that fits you movement. 

Hello. I think the diameter of the movement was around 27mm. I will give you exact measurement when I get home!

14 hours ago, rogart63 said:

One of them is 25 mm . But they both have the same spring. So hope the spring is the same. Have some EB springs to . If the AS is to short one could modify the spring from one of those movements. 

Hello! I got the measurements. The size of the movement is 29mm in diameter and the spring is about 14mm in length when measured from one point to another. I want to purchase the part if the size is appropriate.

7 hours ago, east3rn said:

Hello! I got the measurements. The size of the movement is 29mm in diameter and the spring is about 14mm in length when measured from one point to another. I want to purchase the part if the size is appropriate.

The one i have is 13,5 so should work. On your watch it looks kind of long. Send me a PM . 

On 4/2/2019 at 4:27 PM, rogart63 said:

The one i have is 13,5 so should work. On your watch it looks kind of long. Send me a PM . 

Hello! I sent you 10$ as you requested. Have you checked my message??:biggrin: