east3rn

Looking for a part! In need of help

Question

Hello.

I am now working on a vintage "trench watch" movement from 1910s that I mentioned before with a question regarding identification of the movement.

(I still haven't got the exact ref. of the movement.)

As I was disassembling the movement, my screwdriver slipped and broke one of the parts that function as a spring for the click.

I tried looking for replacement but I am not sure what I should look for.

Also, one of the jewels on the  wheel bridge is broken so I need a jewel as well. 

Could anyone advice me on how to find the correct part for click spring and the jewel for the wheel bridge??

**Could the click spring be put back together??

Thanks. You are always of great help.

20190327_121216.jpg

20190327_123704.jpg

KakaoTalk_20190331_140637453.jpg

KakaoTalk_20190331_140637127.jpg

20190327_121733.jpg

11 answers to this question

8 hours ago, east3rn said:

Hello. I think the diameter of the movement was around 27mm. I will give you exact measurement when I get home!

One of them is 25 mm . But they both have the same spring. So hope the spring is the same. Have some EB springs to . If the AS is to short one could modify the spring from one of those movements. 

It would be tricky to repair the click, but not impossible.

It wuld need to be silver soldered (Hard soldered) at the break, but done in such a way you don't heat up the whole click as then it would loose its spring.

to be repalce the jewel you would need a jeweling tool.

You need to measure the diameter of the pivot that goes through the broken jewel and the hole the jewel is in.

to measure this you would need to remove the jewel. If the jewel comes out in you part you can just measure the jewel, then you would need to find a Seitz jewel that is the correct size. If you cant find one exactly the same find one with the correct pivot hole and dlightly larger diameter. You would then need to use the jeweling tool  to ream out the hole to the correct size and fit the jewel.

Mark has done a good video on this in the past.

Unless you plan on taking up the hobby serious a jeweling tool will probably be beyond what you want to spend, even a second hand one.

13 hours ago, Tmuir said:

It would be tricky to repair the click, but not impossible.

It wuld need to be silver soldered (Hard soldered) at the break, but done in such a way you don't heat up the whole click as then it would loose its spring.

to be repalce the jewel you would need a jeweling tool.

You need to measure the diameter of the pivot that goes through the broken jewel and the hole the jewel is in.

to measure this you would need to remove the jewel. If the jewel comes out in you part you can just measure the jewel, then you would need to find a Seitz jewel that is the correct size. If you cant find one exactly the same find one with the correct pivot hole and dlightly larger diameter. You would then need to use the jeweling tool  to ream out the hole to the correct size and fit the jewel.

Mark has done a good video on this in the past.

Unless you plan on taking up the hobby serious a jeweling tool will probably be beyond what you want to spend, even a second hand one.

Well that is a good news! May be I should check on Mark's video.

Hope the jeweling tool is not super expensive..haha..

Thank you for your helpful advice!

13 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Ooops . Have a couple of movement with such spring. Not the exact same type but it's AS . Can we measure and maybe i can have one that fits you movement. 

Hello. I think the diameter of the movement was around 27mm. I will give you exact measurement when I get home!

14 hours ago, rogart63 said:

One of them is 25 mm . But they both have the same spring. So hope the spring is the same. Have some EB springs to . If the AS is to short one could modify the spring from one of those movements. 

Hello! I got the measurements. The size of the movement is 29mm in diameter and the spring is about 14mm in length when measured from one point to another. I want to purchase the part if the size is appropriate.

7 hours ago, east3rn said:

Hello! I got the measurements. The size of the movement is 29mm in diameter and the spring is about 14mm in length when measured from one point to another. I want to purchase the part if the size is appropriate.

The one i have is 13,5 so should work. On your watch it looks kind of long. Send me a PM . 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By grh215
      Hello everyone. I have a really sad story and I am a complete amateur. I am a machinist for a living so I thought I would give a crack at making a frankenwatch, however it did not go as planned and now I have a movement with subdials that don’t work and a whole lot of parts and money invested and I don’t know what to do. I need the help of a professional. The donor movement was a NOS, new old stock, and was running perfectly, however I messed up almost everything attempting to make this watch. I will happily ship all of the parts needed to complete this watch and pay for any repair that need to be made and for the return shipping. I need the help of a professional how can repair and assemble the watch with the parts and return it to me. I will pay for everything, the labor, replacement parts, return shipping, I just need someone’s help. 
      Details about the project: 
      movement: valjoux 7733
      dial: vintage NOS angelus chronograph dial
      case: custom machined case 
      crystal: plexiglass

• By RobRoy
      Hello forum, this is my first time posting.
      I found my great-grandfathers Timex maybe about a year ago, and to my dismay, it wound right up some 50 years later. From what I can tell, it looks to be a viscount model maybe pre-1960s? Possibly closest to a model 31 movement. My area of expertise is really limited to owning battery operated watches, so I'm hoping someone could help.
      I was using my hand to hit a wrench for my car and I didn't even notice I had my watch on. The movement stopped and from then on it's been acting funky, basically just stopping randomly throughout the day, but then restarting. When I take off the case and manually wind the rotor with my fingers, it will continue to run for quite some time, but once I try to wind it with the crown and stem or maybe even shake the watch it may only last a few moments.
      I hope someone may be able to help me diagnose some potential sources of this, since I would love to keep wearing my great-grandfathers watch. I've attached pictures too
    • By MechanicMike
      Hi all-is there a name for the crescent shape of this fork and its purpose? Vague memory of seeing one like this but can't find where I had seen it.
      Thank ya
      MM

• By Amateurwatchbreaker
      I have a seiko 7548-700f that I bought at a flea market for 15 dollars. Very beat up. Heavy scratches on the back near the lugs. Looks like the previous owner didn't know how to take a case back off properly. Last year during a battery change the screwdriver slipped and i hit the coil block. I managed to replace it without trouble. Starting a couple of months ago it started losing time. LOTS of time. I would take it off overnight and in the morning it would be 5 hours behind the correct time. Happens no matter what position the watch is in. I suspect that this is because the hole for the center wheel is not circular anymore. I know this means I need a service but I can not afford one. I am in highschool with no job. I have posted similar threads to this on several different sites, but no one is helpful. They tell me to get a job or to just pay to service it. What should I do? Should I learn to service it myself or is it even worth it?
    • By Amateurwatchbreaker
      I have a watch that I am fixing up for myself. After lots of research l, I concluded my watch is a 1960s Hamilton Stormking VII. As my watch needs a new crystal I ordered one from ebay that is for a Hamilton stormking VII. When I got it in I immediately realized that it doesn't fit. The replacement seems to me about 1mm larger than the original. (I dont have a caliper). Is this even a Hamilton Stormking VII? Or did I get the right crystal but I have to modify it before it fits?