AccidentalWatchmaker

2892-2 Movement stops completely after hacking

Question

Hi all,

I'm currently building a custom watch with an ETA 2892-2 movement. The movement is from an old Brietling. I managed to fix it and was working perfectly. I was in the process of putting it all together, was attaching the second hand and it suddenly stopped. I believe I may have used too much force. However, I have taken the watch apart again (about the 12th time!). I notice that when I move the hacking spring it stops as it should, but when I return it to the position that would usually allow the movement to move again it doesn't. I assumed I'd knocked something out of alignment, but to add to the confusion if I give the escape wheel the slightest nudge it continues ticking. It's baffling me. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Best,

Dan

IMG_20190131_133944.jpg

5 answers to this question

Close up pix? Lighting is poor. 

With ballance at rest the impulse should be inside the fork horns so with slight move of balance wheel back or forth fork should move, Stud career looks to have moved advanced.have you checked jewels, canon pinion etc directly affected when you pressed down.check canon pinion, it may be dragding on the mainplate.

is this in correct spot? Looks odd to me1879219307_Screenshotfrom2019-02-0419-50-18.png.1f6b497918b7a24de1bebd58340b5b1a.png

I’ve just looked at the tech guide (I’m working on one of these myself at the moment so had it to hand - and I’m assuming that a 2892-2 is the same as 2892A2) and I think you are right, looking at the guide I ‘think’ it should be where I have circled in red... I stand to be corrected though.

bd54b4a8534a52e983ddeae1a19db64e.jpg&key=e7e9b81f605819b6092f32f0414f7b9d8ec505c002142b2cdec83c422c9944e0

aac5e3e8875bc160dd4b4472d8d1fdce.jpg&key=e139bd3876cd0d2be32fed67e562afe8b5547ca8542c01729bdfe76bfa492940

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By AdamC
      Hello, I've been struggling for two evenings now to fit the train bridge on this ETA 2832. Every time it looks like all pivots are aligned through the jewel holes and I begin tightening the bridge, the wheels begin locking up. On closer examination, it looks to me like the 4th wheel is not seating flush against the centre tube as shown in one of my photos. I believe this because the pinion on the 4th wheel is higher than that of the escape wheel, and equally about the same measurement out between the 4th wheel and the 3rd wheel pinion, which is lower. It also looks like the 4th wheel is fouling under the train bridge.
      In your opinion, would my suspicion be correct or should the 4th wheel's pinion rest approx. 1 to 1.5mm above the flange of the centre tube. If it should be flush, do you have any tips to seating it as such? I have obviously tried carefully wriggling it under light pressure without luck. I've added an extra photo showing the placed wheels during disassembly to give some context.
      Thanks in advance 

• By Mark
      Join me as I strip down, service and review this Chinese ETA 2892-A2 clone. Seagull ST1812 watch movement. There was a couple of issues to deal with but altogether a fairly impressive movement for the price.
    • By arkobugg
      Hello Mates!
      Im working on an ETA 2783, and suspect that the canon pinion is to tight against the lower wheel.
      So I have to make it a little bit more loose...
      Has anybody done this befor? 
      And how it the best way to do this?
      Thanks   A

ETA type of Center Wheel/Cannon Pinion

• By arkobugg
      Cheers Mates!!
      Working on a Tudor Oyster Prince with ref no: 2081/4     with a ETA 2784 movment.
      Cleaned and inspected, all looks good, no sign of wear and tear on the main spring, no sharps bend, looks overall good. Noticed that there where some marks on the barrel wall. But that I have seen before witout any drama....
      Oiled it , put togeher , goes like a dream..... but the the spring does not stick, it snaps over after 6,5 turns by crown.
      So the question is:
      Can I just replace the main spring?
      Can I just replace the main spring and do something with the barrel walls ?
      Buy a new barrel with spring? Is it to be sourced?

Ref 9081/4 is the ETA 2784

• By Chepatro
      Hi there.
      Has anyone ever heard about an ETA E10.311 movement? I can find no info on it whatsoever. It's one of these LCD screen over dial watches. I am looking for the tech sheet on this.
      Thanks!!