AccidentalWatchmaker

2892-2 Movement stops completely after hacking

Question

Hi all,

I'm currently building a custom watch with an ETA 2892-2 movement. The movement is from an old Brietling. I managed to fix it and was working perfectly. I was in the process of putting it all together, was attaching the second hand and it suddenly stopped. I believe I may have used too much force. However, I have taken the watch apart again (about the 12th time!). I notice that when I move the hacking spring it stops as it should, but when I return it to the position that would usually allow the movement to move again it doesn't. I assumed I'd knocked something out of alignment, but to add to the confusion if I give the escape wheel the slightest nudge it continues ticking. It's baffling me. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Best,

Dan

IMG_20190131_133944.jpg

5 answers to this question

Close up pix? Lighting is poor. 

With ballance at rest the impulse should be inside the fork horns so with slight move of balance wheel back or forth fork should move, Stud career looks to have moved advanced.have you checked jewels, canon pinion etc directly affected when you pressed down.check canon pinion, it may be dragding on the mainplate.

is this in correct spot? Looks odd to me1879219307_Screenshotfrom2019-02-0419-50-18.png.1f6b497918b7a24de1bebd58340b5b1a.png

I’ve just looked at the tech guide (I’m working on one of these myself at the moment so had it to hand - and I’m assuming that a 2892-2 is the same as 2892A2) and I think you are right, looking at the guide I ‘think’ it should be where I have circled in red... I stand to be corrected though.

bd54b4a8534a52e983ddeae1a19db64e.jpg&key=e7e9b81f605819b6092f32f0414f7b9d8ec505c002142b2cdec83c422c9944e0

aac5e3e8875bc160dd4b4472d8d1fdce.jpg&key=e139bd3876cd0d2be32fed67e562afe8b5547ca8542c01729bdfe76bfa492940

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.