Revue/MSR T43 unusual balance cap jewels, are they correct ?

mikepilk

Stripping an  MSR T43 movement, I noticed too much end float in the balance, and then found these cap jewels.

I've never seen any like it. The jewel is flat, which may account for the excessive end float, the pivots appear OK.

On the Incabloc site they don't reference T43, but for T44 T46 the cap stones are 122.11 

which are the same as ETA 2824, 2892. 

Anyone seen any of these, are they correct ?

WIN_20180901_16_17_26_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180901_16_21_18_Pro.jpg

Intriguing!

This chap had the same observation... https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/108514-incabloc-query/  ... so it seems this is a feature!

And yet if I go to a close up of another T43 movement and zoom in on the balance I can't see any reflection anomaly to indicate a cutout.

Maybe something MSR introduced in the movement's history?

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:
1 hour ago, mikepilk said:
I've changed them for the normal shaped ones (122.11) but still have too much end float.
Maybe  I can push the lower Incabloc in a touch.

They wouldn't change the endshake. All are flat (with the exception of some that had offset concave sections, very rare).

The cut-out ones are flat both sides - unlike the 'usual' ones with one convex surface. 

The watch over-banked when I got it, and the guard pin has a bend in it, so someone's been playing with it. 

I need to see how the pallet fork and guard pin sit, then decide what to do. The pivots look OK, so I'm not sure where the problem is.

I have seen cut cabs used in other makes too. I am pretty sure on bulova 11blacd.

I too thought that is likely to give easy access for oiling. Then thought anyone who can oil pivot through this cut would do it easier with the usual method. Plus oiling the cab itself  involves more than just pouring oil on it.

We all seen cases of cabs stuck in place and sometimes are real pain to remove, the cut lets you pry the cab open/seperated  with an oiler or needle. That too can be regarded as an advantage.

• Like 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Now I'm completely confused, it would appear that the epilame  is oleophobic  as @Marc states: This oleophobic  behavior can be seen as beading of the droplet (as above) which stops the oil spreading which is supported by what we observe on treated/untreated cap stones (for example), but as @VWatchie states this should make the drops more mobile, and not less mobile which is the opposite of what we want. In fact this beading and high mobility are desirable properties in things like smart phone covers, see below.  I am fairly sure that epilame doesn't make the droplets more mobile, so maybe its a strange coating with dual properties that are both oleophobic and cohesive/adhesive resulting in low mobility?? This may explain the high price??  
    • The description there is exactly how it's done, and it's very well written!
    • Would it be correct to say that the stronger the mainspring, the thicker the oil should be? So for a fusee mainspring, should a thick grease be used?
    • I started on pocket watches as they are easier to work on than wristwatches. Many had gold cases, which is why there are so many movements for sale. I was always on the look out for cases, for as Nickelsilver says,  a 16s movement will fit any 16s case* (with tweaks to the stem). I also started hand winding mainsprings, before I had winders. It can be done without damage, but it's quite hard on the fingers.  But you can make homemade winders, see here      * some movements, eg "railroad grade", have a setting lever on the edge of the  dial at about the 1 -2 o'clock, so need a special case.
    • Ok, on your movement plate you can see a star wheel on the right, this is the silencer, if you rotate the hands by hand through each hour you will see that eventually it acts upon the cam which moves the lever and in turn lifts the lifting lever thus stopping the chimes and strike working.  What you need to do is get your clock to 11pm and also turn the star until the cam lifts the lever and stops the action. The star wheel has a small spring that gives it a positive action between each movement, so once at 11pm you can rotate the star wheel around by hand until it stops the action at 11pm. Hope this makes sense to you.