Tools for trimming stems

Davey57

I have fitted a couple of new stems recently but they were from ladies watches and the finished length was only about 10mm. I cut them near enough with a pair of decent small pliers and gradually finished them off on some fine grit wet and dry. Worked ok but, it was difficult to hold the stem in my fingers securely when doing the final adjustments using the fine grit paper. Larger ones aren’t too bad but what can I use in future to grip these tiny stems? Been looking at pin vices but I’m not sure if they would hold a stem without fear of snapping it whilst working on it. Also any suggestions for some cutters intended for trimming stems? Don’t want to pay the earth as it’s not something I do that often.

2 hours ago, Davey57 said:

Thanks for your tips and recommendations folks. Cousins have an Eclipse single ended pin vice,  0-1.0mm. That should cover most situations shouldn’t it? 

I have the cheap dual-sided one and it works OK. But to be honest, grabbing/cutting/refinishing a stem is easy enough to be doable without a pin vise. 

The new Eclipse pin vices are not as good as the originals, possibly due to not using Sheffield steel. However, they’ll still be better than Indian or Chinese monkey metal. 

Using a pin vice for cutting is handy because it helps you get a consistent angle on the end of the stem when chamfering the edge (if you do this). I usually make a 45 degree chamfer to make the stem thread nicely into the crown. 

22 hours ago, rodabod said:

The new Eclipse pin vices are not as good as the originals, possibly due to not using Sheffield steel. However, they’ll still be better than Indian or Chinese monkey metal.

We've ended up with lots of Eclipse tools over here, excellent stuff.  At one point they had a line that was almost as extensive as Starrett's plus things like mag chucks.  Sorry to hear the new stuff isn't made as well - did they start outsourcing or open a plant in China?

Edited by measuretwice

2 hours ago, measuretwice said:

We've ended up with lots of Eclipse tools over here, excellent stuff.  At one point they had a line that was almost as extensive as Starrett's plus things like mag chucks.  Sorry to hear the new stuff isn't made as well - did they start outsourcing or open a plant in China?

They got bought over by Spear And Jackson who are another quality tool manufacturer. I’m not sure if the new pin vices are made in England or not. The UK hasn’t protected many of its industries, especially steel, so we make less tools now. The stuff we do still make is probably up there with American tool quality.