Fusee chain

BUSAKAZ

39 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I never wanted to attract dirt and dust to the movement, with an oiled chain that is what would happen and then the chain could become glued up.  

The trouble is I have a couple of tight links, I have worked them so that they are more free I just thought a little oil like 9010 wouldn’t go a miss.

thanks

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I never wanted to attract dirt and dust to the movement, with an oiled chain that is what would happen and then the chain could become glued up.  

I agree with oldhippy, I don't think a tight link under tension would cause near as much trouble as a whole chain possibly fouled with dirt....

1 hour ago, BUSAKAZ said:

The trouble is I have a couple of tight links, I have worked them so that they are more free I just thought a little oil like 9010 wouldn’t go a miss.

thanks

Have you cleaned the chain in a cleaning machine. If its just a couple of links that are tight then go ahead a tiny drop on them won't harm.

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Have you cleaned the chain in a cleaning machine. If its just a couple of links that are tight then go ahead a tiny drop on them won't harm.

Yes I think it won’t harm just on the 2 links, it is still in a dust cover and in a case and probably 90% going to be in a draw.

thanks all the same

Kaz

So I've attached some images other people's thoughts.  Gazeley has the interesting method of boiling in oil which would allow the oil to penetrate everywhere in the chain. Then the rinsing off I'm assuming doesn't 100% remove all of the oil. The part about passing it through the lamp freaks me out at hate to have a blue chain.

Second image from the deCarle I've used this before.. Then rather than torturing your chain by boiling at an oil penetrating oil works just as well.

fc2.JPG

fc1.JPG

It does not matter if he was an expert. Many of the old practices are not required today. Running the chain through a spirit lamp to burn of any hairs, today this is silly. There are many cleaning fluids better then benzene. Cleaning the chain through a watch cleaning machine then pop it in the drying chamber will give you a far better result than washing it in a jar of benzene and drying it in tissue paper.  

You have to be careful with the spelling of benzene in that I think there's more than one type. All are great cleaning fluids except one of them will kill you eventually I watched my dad dying of myelofibrosis. Apparently whichever version of benzene they used it was really good for cleaning wind tunnels just not good for breathing. So you have to be careful with our cleaning solvents to get some that are less bad or use them in better ventilation.

Then fusee chain lubrication is interesting problem. If it's run through the cleaning machine and super clean it can rust. On the other hand if it's covered with dripping oil whether it's in a clock or watch is going to attract dust. Somewhere there should be a compromise some super light oil that would penetrate Leaving a super thin film would be good.

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

You have to be careful with the spelling of benzene in that I think there's more than one type.

Correct,  oldhippy has spelled it wrong above, but DeCarle wrote it right. It seems like English speakers have trouble with that name,

From wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_ether
"Benzine" redirects here. It is not to be confused with Benzene.

Basically, it's refined spark engine fuel, called a.k.a. gasoline in the USA

24 minutes ago, jdm said:

Correct,  oldhippy has spelled it wrong above, but DeCarle wrote it right. It seems like English speaker have a lot of trouble with that name,

From wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_ether
"Benzine" redirects here. It is not to be confused with Benzene.

Basically, it's refined spark engine fuel, called a.k.a. gasoline in the USA

Its just me I'm bad at spelling. :D