Hello from Miami Florida

Dico

Hello from Derbyshire England. I am new to this type of communication so hope people will be patient with me! 

I would be extremely grateful for any advice or information on my Grandfather clock.. It has been in my family for at least 100 years but all I know about it is that it was left to my Grandmother by her Aunt in Winslow , Cheshire . It is a lovely clock and very precious to me. Unfortunately I have moved house and while doing so my furniture was in storage. Although I used a very well know and reputable company they have sadly lost the key for the door, the winding handle and all 3 finials! The insurance company want an estimate for replacing these so I have been investigating and found you. The case door is locked so I cannot get the clock reassembled and going yet. I believe it was made by B Harlow of Lane End. I will try to attach photos and any information about the clock or when and how to get it up and running again would be very appreciated . Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I cannot give estimates only advice.  

Your clock is what is known as a Longcase White Dial Clock with moon phase to give its correct name, also known as a grandfather clock. It dates from around the 1800’s up to around 1830, certainly not any later. It has an arch for the calendar and second hand. As I cannot see the movement, but I am sure, it is an 8-day movement with strike and it strikes on a bell. The case to me looks like it is mahogany and it has a good proportioned trunk (it hasn’t been cut down)

What has happened to your clock will deprecate the value. Many clocks do not have their original key. 3 finials missing, these go astray more then I care to remember, they can be replaced but there is nothing like having the original. The missing key on the other hand could cause big problems. You need to find a reputable case maker, you never know he or she might have a key that fits, if not he or she must be able to replace the lock with a perfect one in size and it most not alter the fitting in any way.   

• Like 1