Dial Refinish Or Not?

Geo

Up to now I have been pretty much against refinishing dials unless the are well obliterated, but now I am re-thinking my own policy regarding one my favourite watches. It's an Omega bumper watch from 1945 that I wear quite a lot.

Here's a picture of it, what do you guys think?

post-124-0-21918100-1407843771_thumb.jpg

Hi Geo, that's my preferred kind of watch (small seconds hand), my dad used to wear one identical to that!

In any case. Since it is not an exhibition piece - although part of your collection (you use it a lot), -- I would refinish the face. All that said, I would first find out how much of a change would be introduced in the original design after the process is done to make a better decision (fonts, texture, color, etc)

Re-dialling will affect the value of the watch if you decide to sell it on so you have to consider this.

If it bugs you then go ahead as its your own watch but also consider how a 'new' dial will fit in with the 'used' case. Can't really tell in you photo but you should be good to go.

anil

Thanks for the comments guys. The jury is still out on this one, one thing I won't be doing is getting Omega to do it because of the price.

I'm investigating a company in Spain just now, but unfortunately they are closed for a month due to holidays. From images of there work, I think the look the best yet. It will be interesting to see what the cost is. Here's a link for those that may be interested.

http://www.watchdialrestoration.com/index.htm

Try this http://www.davidbill.co.uk haven't used him myself but comes highly recomended.

Thanks for that Blacklab, This is a company I am definitely considering, I dropped them an email two days ago and had a reply in about two hours. International Dial Company in America hasn't got back to me after two emails two weeks ago! Not a good advert.

I would STRONGLY suggest and recommend the following company...great service...have used them for years

kirk dial of seattle

112 central avenue north

kent, washington

98032   usa

253-852-5125

Thanks for that Jerry, I'll definitely check this company out.

I would say yes and also get the scratches removed from the case,  you will then have a very tidy example of a fine watch.   :thumbsu:

I'm starting to thing the same way Roger, the only problem is the case is rolled gold and it would be too easy to rub through. On the wrist the case actually looks pretty good.

Thanks for your feedback!

• 3 weeks later...