Shock spring for Chinese Caliber 2650S

Hi everyone

Currently doing a service to a skeleton I bought more than 10 years ago. I really like the style of it, although it is a cheap watch with a Chinese Standard movement caliber 2650S. 

Broke one of the shock springs and could not find anything similar to buy and replace it (apart from buying the all movement).

Tried to look at the Kif shock springs since some are similar, but they will not fit.

Any help on where to buy this shock spring would be very appreciated.

Many Thanks

Chinese Standar Caliber 2650S.jpg

We need a closer pic of the spring and some measurements. There are many styles of shock. Finding replacements is always difficult but you might be lucky and find the Chinese have used a standard spring. If it is their own make then getting a match is going to be difficult. I will have a look in my bestfit book to see if I can find a style match. Here are just some of the KIF style of springs:

KIF.pdf

Sorry no luck it is a shock unique to the Chinese movement. There is nothing like this in my "Bestfit" catalogue or my "incabloc" catalogue.  The nearest I could find was a "Incabloc" 173.02. 
which has a total length of 2.23 and a total width of 1.55. It might fit BUT the issue is the way it attaches which is different see pic. The way forward is to find a donor movement or if possible change the complete setting.

59181e4cea6f4_Chineseshock.png.c54921d9c41c2d27e70c9becb6a346f4.png

Have a very similar spring from a chinese movement. It has straight legs. But as far as i can measure it has the same dimensions. I can see if i can knock some out and take a better measure. Difficult to measure this small parts. 

• 1 month later...

Dear Rogart63

Thanks so much for your spare parts. I swap the whole incabloc and works perfect. 
Attached some photos of the finished work. 
Amazing the performance that a $25 movement can have. I'm really happy with the outcome of the service.
It is a cheap watch but I always loved the design and should be good to run for a few years more.

Thanks all.

2650S 1.jpg

2650S 2.jpg

2650S 3.jpg

• Like 2

• Similar Content

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• https://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/files?showfile=Venus/Venus 178.pdf&filename=Venus 178.pdf&dir=Technical Manuals&action=documents   The hour recorder is driven by the barrel and it will only stop if it is held by the hour recorder stop lever 8690. So I would check if this lever (powered by the spring 8691) is really holding the hour recorder in the "chrono off status". I haven't worked on a Venus 178 so far, but on an Omega 861 I chose 9501 grease for the friction spring as it's moving very slow at quite high tension.
    • All I do is use a fine marker (sharpie) to put the service date on the back cover, this way it can be removed with some IPA and does no permanent damage to the watch. I'm in two minds about the whole service marking thing, sometimes it's good/bad to see the markings on the watch case back as you know it's been worked on and vice versa. However, if I took my car in for a service and the mechanic scratched some code into the housing of my engine I wouldn't be too impressed. Hence, I think my sharpie solution is a reasonable compromise.
    • hmmmm.... maybe there is a way to skin that cat 🙀 let me think on it... unless anyone else has any ideas? I left the opening in the side of the base and ring quite large to maybe allow you to grip the crown, but appreciate this may not always be possible, especially for small movements where the crown will not extend past the outer wall of the holder. I noticed this also, but after using the holder for a while I noticed that the ring/holder began to wear into shape (rough edges/bumps worn off) and the size became closer to the desired movement OD. Maybe with some trial and error we could add 0.5 mm (??) to the movement OD to allow for this initial bedding-in?
    • Hi nickelsilver, thanks for the great explanation and the links! I'll take a good look in the article.  Especially this is great news to hear! Looking through forums and youtube videos I was informed to 'fist find a case and then fit a movement for it'. But seems that's not the case for pocket watches at least?  I guess I should be looking to find some 'male square bench keys' for now. I was thinking of winding the mainspring using a screwdriver directly, but I found a thread that you've replied on, saying that it could damage the spring. 
    • Murks, The rate and amplitude look OK, and the amplitude should improve once the oils you have used get a chance to move bed-in, also I notice that you are using default 52 degrees for the lift angle, if you get the real lift angle (assuming it's not actually 52) this will change your amplitude - maybe higher, maybe lower. I notice that the beat error is a little high, but not crazy high. At the risk of upsetting the purists, if the balance has an adjustment arm I would go ahead and try and get this <0.3 ms, but if it does not have an adjustable arm then I would probably leave well alone. Just my opinion.