Ingersoll watch

sunnyside

Please can anyone help. I have a gold Ingersoll watch that has great sentimental value to me and don't know how to open it. There is no indication on the case of the model only the marking 375 and two small markings I assume in relation to the gold mark. It definately is not a screw back or snap back would I be right assuming that i will need to go in by way of the front crystal if so how will I remove the stem to get to the movement? I always change the batteries on my other quartz watches but they are either snap or screw backs. All help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, sunnyside said:

Please can anyone help. I have a gold Ingersoll watch that has great sentimental value to me and don't know how to open it. There is no indication on the case of the model only the marking 375 and two small markings I assume in relation to the gold mark. It definately is not a screw back or snap back would I be right assuming that i will need to go in by way of the front crystal if so how will I remove the stem to get to the movement? I always change the batteries on my other quartz watches but they are either snap or screw backs. All help would be appreciated.

Sorry, why you want to open it? What about one or two good pictures to help others understand what is what?

Hi JDM, I have taken a few pictures in a hope they will help. The watch was given to me as a gift many years ago when I had little interest in watches other than wearing them purely for the time. When the battery expired I took it to a shop that did battery replacement and he said he was not prepared to change the battery I assume because it was either gold or like me he didn't know how it opened, so it landed up in a draw. The reason I want to open it is to replace the battery or who knows after all this time it may require a new movement, both jobs that I have carried out successfully on my other watches which has since become my hobby in my retirement years. Hope you can help.

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

This seem to be the best pictures I can get hope they help. Please excuse all the scratch markings on the watch back it was in my younger days when I tried to open the back to put a new battery, in glad to say since those days I have learnt a lot more respect for my watches. Thanks.

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0370.JPG

"This seem to be the best pictures I can get hope they help. Please excuse all the scratch markings on the watch back it was in my younger days when I tried to open the back to put a new battery, in glad to say since those days I have learnt a lot more respect for my watches. Thanks"

Now that you have learned that Pneumatic jack hammers are not a suitable watch opening tool, you need to inspect the case under a loupe and look for any obvious breaks in the case or bezel. I would suspect that the bezel comes off or the crystal needs to be removed  and the movement comes out from the front if you cant see any obvious areas where the case opens,or you do not have the required tools to do the job correctly then take it to a jewellers and pay the £5.00 to £10.00 it would cost for a battery.

Thanks wls1971 I have had a really good look at the watch with the loupe and I can honestly say there does not appear to be anywhere to open on the case itself so have to assume it is a case of removing the crystal which I did today with a crystal removing tool. However, my next problem as this will be the first time I have a had get to a movement via the crystal is how to extract the stem to enable me to take the movement out of the case any advice on how to carry this task out would be very much appreciated. 

Front-loader quartz watches are rare but they do exist as you just demonstrated.

To remove the split step you just pull, you may need a tool like a modified hands puller.

I think the bezel seam is visible in one of the pictures above, you would open from there.

The back case finishing can be restored with a lathe.

Interesting video and you don't want to follow exactly what he does perhaps. It's hard to see in the video the tweezers he's using don't grab the battery front to back with metal tweezers. You're actually shorting the battery out true it's only for a few seconds but you're still shorting the battery out. They make special tweezers for batteries out of plastic or you can use your metal just hold On the side of the battery not front to back.

Then Notice the force required to remove the stem?  Ideally they should he used a split stem but often times they do not. So while you can pull the stem out this way there is a possibility of damaging the stem unfortunately that's the only way to get the stem out.

You don't pull the stem out the way it is shown in that video, that way your are more likely to break it, you pull it straight out, at times he forcing down and you don't use  the tools he used. Its a bad design because the stem isn't a two piece. 

I cringed watching that video.

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 2

I must admit when I watched the vid I did cringe. I think Mark has a vid on front loaders & he just pulls it straight out with what looks like an old hand lifter. The key I think is a straight pull & of course being absolutely sure it is a front loader.

• Like 1

Thanks gents for your input I will bear all your valuable comments in mind when carrying out the work. I have now also looked at Mark's video as mentioned in clockboy post and have to agree the way Mark demonstrated looked much less stressful on the stem.

Edited by sunnyside
Additional information

Yes the techniques used in the video are not to be copyed.I posted the link to show that the watch is actually a front loader, The OP already stated he cannot see any other access points on the watch and has had a good look, and that he already changes batterys in his other watches so presumably has the correct tools.

. Ingersoll, Geneve and Sovereign 9ct watches are all similliar watches and the cases are so alike that they are probably produced in the same factory, so pulling the stem out with the correct tools and changing the battery will more than likely be the same for all these watches.