Corroded battery

I thought that cal. was obsolete. with a possible replacement with a Ronda cal. that i can't remember offhand.

leaked batteries usually fry the circuit board, but you can try removing the circuit and gently cleaning any corrosion/leakage off with Iso alcohol and cotton swabs. There are other ways to clean it if it's more stubborn. but try that first and add a new battery, you might be lucky. 

If the circuit board is still good you can overhaul the movement, fairly simple job if you have the equipment, run everything except the circuit board and rotor thru a cleaning cycle, lubricate jewels very lightly with 9010 on rebuild.

Brian

Probably has gone deeper into the movement? Corroded some wheels or the circuit board. Maybe could be serviced. You wan't now until you tried? 

Could try finding a donor watch? You should be able to find them in other watches? 

Ronda replacement is 751E 

I think you should try to repair it? Found a lot of old untested 978.002 movement on ebay. 

Much more fun then having a Ronda movement stuck in your Omega? 

Edited by rogart63

Renata, Rayovac, Varta or unbranded, a broad bet, but the one I place. You're right about Sony and Energizer, Parmenion, they never leak unless left in watches years after draining, and even then it's usually very slight. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, U778706 said:

I've already carried out a gentle clean of the battery area, installed a new battery but no joy.

At this point, you might want to try soaking the movement in Naphta (Zippo or Ronsonol lighter fluid).

Naphta is a more aggressive solvent than iso alcool.  

I did this recently on a 2002 Rotary quartz watch movement with success.

Of course, results may vary depending on the extent of the corrosion, if the corrosion reaches the quartz oscillator (that's number 5 in the picture, the round tube), then the movement is toast because that's the main component of the watch. I have a friend who's an electrical engineer explain this to me before I attempted it.    

insidequartzwatch.jpg

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/quartzclockwatch.html 

Now about the naphta.

There are two ways of trying this. You will need to remove the movement from the case.

1) Drip: Get a small shallow glass dish. Place the movement in a vertical position so the naphta will flow into the dish. Be gentle, a little goes a long way the point of the exercise is just to flush the acid corrosion out. Gently squeeze the bottle or can to let it drip in the battery cavity area. Carefully remove the movement and place it on a paper towel or thick napkin to allow the naphta to drain, do not try to air dry or blow on it to accelerate the drying otherwise it will fly all over. Wait at least 10 minutes, and then gently shake to see if any naphta remained in a cavity, it should drain out. If there was naphta, again wait a few minutes it will evaporate.

2) Immersion: Get a small shallow glass dish. Place a little bit of naphta in the bottom of the dish, just enough to cover 2 mm at most (the upper part of the battery cavity). Then carefully place the movement battery cavity side down into the dish. Very gently, agitate the dish from side to side to distribute the naphta.

Let sit for a minute or two, not too long the quartz occillator tube is sealed it should be alright if the corrosion hasn't reached the tube.

You will see some sediment at the bottom of the dish, that is the gunk inside your movement. Again, carefully remove the movement and place it on a paper towel or thick napkin to allow the naphta to drain, do not try to air dry or blow on it to accelerate the drying otherwise it will fly all over. Wait at least 10 minutes, and then gently shake to see if any naphta remained in a cavity, it should drain out. If there was any naphta, again wait a few minutes it will evaporate.

If you are concerned about attempting this, there are other great ideas on this site (they consider the different types of cell batteries):

http://great-british-watch.co.uk/how-to-spot-and-deal-with-watch-battery-leaks/        

Hope that helps.

Edited by MilTimeCan
  • Like 1