BHI Distance Learning Course

The BHI offers a distance learning course. Does anyone know how it works? As far as I can tell once you pay for the course they mail you 12 lessons; then what? Do they give tests on the lessons?  Do you mail projects back to them to be graded? Do you receive the 12 lessons then never hear from them again? If anyone knows about this course please post a response.

david

I am a member of the BHI & as far as I know they do short courses and distance course which are at Upton Hall.
I have never bothered with them as they are to specific for me & seem expensive. However the monthly mag I find very useful & informative.

I did a course with them when I first started way back in the early 70's. I remember having to post projects to them, They gave address so you could obtain the materiel you needed in order to make the parts. You had to post stuff to them. When that course finished they gave you the option to enroll to the next level which I didn't take. I had a very good master that took me on as an apprentice, I learned far more from him then some expensive course. I my opinion there's nothing like hands on experience. You can only learn so much from a book.   

• Like 1

LOL - don't know why it does that. It should detect full words not partial.

As for the distance learning course, the last information I have is that you pay, they send you a few books and a massive binder with the course notes for you to study.

When you are ready you can enrol on the exam for testing. There used to be three different levels, but that may have changed.

The DLC is an at your own pace course and so you can book onto a scheduled exam when you feel you are ready.

Part of the course is a technical drawing aspect and you can choose either to use computer software (like AutoCad) or traditional draftsman materials. If you choose the computer software route then you will need to take a computer and printer into the exam with you (based on information about 4 years old so this may have changed).

The best thing to do is call them - they are extremely helpful. 

1 hour ago, jnash said:

i have to say that i never renewed as the magazine seems too focused on clocks these days. however i had gone to a few short courses and found them very useful

Has this not always been the case. Certainly has as far as I can remember. BTW - I stopped my membership years ago, I genuinely could not think of any benefit to staying a member apart from being able to attend seminars etc. The magazine is good but for the most part not relevant to me.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

I stopped my membership years ago, I genuinely could not think of any benefit to staying a member apart from being able to attend seminars etc. The magazine is good but for the most part not relevant to me.

Ditto!