Storage for Parts

sstakoff

• 7 years later...

I had a cabinet  with a few draws, I had wooden trays fitted for the insides and small transparent plastic boxes that would take a watch movement and its parts all the boxes had small labels with the cal on them. I called it my A to Z of watch parts. This you might like to think of.   

• Like 1

On 8/11/2016 at 5:39 PM, dadistic said:

Very nice!

I have a friend that snatched an old card catalog cabinet from a library when they went electronic. He stores wine in it, but I always thought it would make a great parts cabinet.

Something like this -

s-l1600.jpg

That looks like a pull-out shelf in the middle very cool.

On 3/19/2024 at 11:46 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Post revival 🤣 , just picked this 60's bedroom chest of drawers for tool and part storage. There is some great ideas on the this thread.

20240319_173102.jpg

Yours looks a tad more stylish than my dresser. My wife wanted me to get rid of it as it was only holding clothes we no longer had a use for and it was taking up space. I was about to put a 'free' sign on it and put it by the curb but then realized it would work perfectly in my little watchmaking space.

1.thumb.jpg.8ecee9314286f085072cebfc8f15809f.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.7ee0544c2e4ba12d3b1a69c1231bf9ba.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Ooo tell me more about tehse dividers!

I got some vintage Bulova parts drawers from eBay that I love the look of, but the drawers are too shallow to be really useful.

I've got a few of those Bulova parts drawers too, but mine are all full of parts 🙂

The dividers in the photo are not great. I ordered 10 of them (at around $3/each delivered) from Aliexpress as a trial as I would need around 35 of them. They are difficult to adjust to the correct length due to how they are designed. Each increment is too large such that if you extend them to the point where they are slightly too large and won't lock but then back off one increment, they are then too loose. I ended up 3D printing some shims to get them to fit somewhat snugly.

My next attempt worked out much better. They are sturdier and are easy to adjust to the correct length. I got them from Amazon and they worked out to about $4/each.

I still need more space for my tools and miscellaneous parts. I have stuff just sitting on the floor as I am 100% out of storage space in my room. I ordered the 7 shelf version of this yesterday to help with parts storage and make more room on my work bench as it is currently cluttered with tools. It's only 12" deep but I think/hope it will help create some much needed room.

4.thumb.jpg.5a4b087e3911efe5768fb9c54fd286ca.jpg

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

Yours looks a tad more stylish than my dresser. My wife wanted me to get rid of it as it was only holding clothes we no longer had a use for and it was taking up space. I was about to put a 'free' sign on it and put it by the curb but then realized it would work perfectly in my little watchmaking space.

1.thumb.jpg.8ecee9314286f085072cebfc8f15809f.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.7ee0544c2e4ba12d3b1a69c1231bf9ba.jpg

Fits like a glove, i would go so far as to say that it looks like it grew there. I like the dividers.