non rotating bezel - what's the problem?

This is my circa 1947 Jardur 960 Bezelmeter. The problem is that the bezel is not rotating - that's how it came to me. When pressed into position it is fully locked. Should there be a spring that allows it to rotate or some vital part missing? 

bkrSBEl.jpg

08zF3Xv.jpg

BABZjyX.jpg

Is there something that suggests that, Geo?  I am thinking the same now as there seems to be nothing to really indicate that it ever did turn - no ring or spring pieces...

Edited by John Hondros
added infor

14 minutes ago, Cad101 said:

Is it me or does the numbering on that bezel look reversed ie 9 where the 3 should be. Unless of course your counting down I suppose it could be for that.

You are correct it is for counting down - something to do with navigation - it was a flight calculator that had a number of functions. It was able to obtain magnetic heading and ground speed, 360 degrees protractor, speed distance and time travelled, indicated air speed corrected for temperature, nautical miles converted to statute miles - so you got to think the bezel is meant to turn, but maybe not. 

"JARDUR sales and distribution were specifically directed to Post Exchanges and Ships Service Stores. Thus, virtually every one of these original chronographs has a guaranteed history of military service" (from jardur.com)

Edited by John Hondros
addition of info

5 minutes ago, Marc said:

Have a look here. 

http://www.jardur.com/history.html

Seems to suggest that it should rotate.

Well that about solves that then, Marc, and I suppose we have to assume that this didn't change throughout the 40s and 50s. So if correct, and we have to assume it is, then it either turns without a spring or rotates against the case unaided. Doesn't seem to want to do the latter even with a little lubricant to assist. 

"The original 1940's Bezelmeter 960 for example, was designed for pilots. It was essentially a cockpit instrument for the wrist. Two features incorporated in the design give clear evidence of this intent. The bezel on the case is an independent chapter ring graduated in counter clockwise hours. Rotating the ring to align the mission duration hours with the hour hand on the dial at take off gives the pilot a quick reference of the flight time remaining during any point in the mission." 

I was informed that you can usually tell if a spring was used because there's always  a lip on the case around the crystal for the spring to sit in and a  corresponding lip on the inner bezel. Is this a tension spring lip? 

eNAJN7g.jpg

rv2ISVw.jpg

wwksbqD.jpg

xvAwKCD.jpg

Edited by John Hondros
corrected spelling

4 minutes ago, vinn3 said:

very good web search,  thanks.  i would say;  if the crystal is not in the bezel,  it's a rotater.     vin

That's interesting. Come to think of it, many bezels that are fixed do have the crystal in the bezel. Just checked my Movado and yes this is correct. 

1 minute ago, StuartBaker104 said:

If you are unhappy that the bezel doesn't rotate, then I will happily look after this watch for you to resolve your misery

:D

I am extremely delighted in your offer to act as chaperone for this watch - but unfortunately, and with all due respect, I will have to disappoint you as I will most likely need to sell it on soon and the new owner may not be as obliging.  :thumbsu:  

Hmmm. Sometimes rental properties are sold on with sitting tenants...

I would have offered to buy, but I have my matrimonial credit score to manage, not to mention my WAGES (Watch Acquisition Greatly Exceeds Servicing) rate! And you never know when the ideal Chronostop will show up on eBay.

;-)

S

• Like 1