My latest piece of clockwork

Wot larks! Got this in a charity shop yesterday afternoon for £35. It's a Decca "Crescendo" portable wind-up gramophone from around 1930 or so - came with some rather battered but playable 78s. I must dig out the ones I have in the upstairs cupboard. Works a treat and is unbelievably loud. Beats an iPod hands down.

Perfect for annoying the neighbours on a sunny afternoon while sitting out in the garden in my white suit, straw hat, drinking Pimms... don'cha know.

Cheers,

Will

2016 05 11 Decca.jpg

• Like 4

Hello Will,  

Record player is a nice find,  cannot be that many still around.

Just to illustrate how much things have moved on the picture is of a small flash drive 32 gb which I use in the car,  it holds 5,060 mp3 songs,  doubtful I'll ever hear them all.  :jig:

32 gb flash drive.jpg

Incredible isn't it - the enormous advance in technology in a relatively small number of years.

Cheers,

Will

Certainly is.

When I first started selling computers we raved about the first 15mb hard drive [emoji1] . Hardly stores one mp3 track now.

4 hours ago, autowind said:

the picture is of a small flash drive 32 gb which I use in the car,  it holds 5,060 mp3 songs

Only problem is when you loose such a small thing...there goes all the 5K mp3!!!

I side with Will, I don't thing that gramophone can be misplaced! :D

Cheers,

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

There is a return to vinyl from digital going on.  I have to admit with tinnitus in both ears I never bother paying a fortune for stereo systems but the last one I bought a short time ago had facility for vinyl, usb, sd card and even a tape player that allows me to save all my old stuff like The Goons tapes and old Billy Connoly LPs, John Mayal Blues from Laurel Canyon (Classic stuff) et seq. I have to digital.  £89.00 courtesy of Class Olsen.

There is still little as irritating as a scratch across a vinyl record.

hey ho in Crete now 88f, but home tonight. Can't wait to freeze off my nethers.

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich
Right letters for usb but wrong order ( Eric Morcambe)

I've been a fan of LPs up to fairly recently... My record player has been acting up and I got fed up of taking it down to the repair-man.

There are new ones for sale but as they cater to the connoisseur end of the market, they're a bit overpriced for me. Easier to find a radio channel that's playing something good.

Anil

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.