Mystery Screws

1 minute ago, jdrichard said:

I'm new to pocket watches, however, does anyone know how to fix the beat error on a Waltham 1883 movement (1902). As well, what are the 2 screws for that are shown on the balance cock in the picture.

By rotating the hairsping collet on the balance staff.

There is one screw on the balance cock. The two screws inside the regulator hold the stone chaton in place.

To adjust the beat you will have to slightly rotate the collet that hold the hairspring onto the staff.  It has a split in it, and if you are very careful you can do this by using a screwdriver inserted into the slot and twisting slightly.  

The two screws that you mention hold the regulator assembly together.

• Like 1

To adjust the beat you will have to slightly rotate the collet that hold the hairspring onto the staff.  It has a split in it, and if you are very careful you can do this by using a screwdriver inserted into the slot and twisting slightly.  

The two screws that you mention hold the regulator assembly together.

One of the screws is sticking up a bit and the other is 90 dev the the first, correct? They look like adjustment screws to me.

You mean this screws i think. Looks like it could be for adjusting something? 

0d141f77a6dbf1998d2c6878c2186a75.jpg

That is the screw, and if you look really close, there is another screw right be if it at a 90 deg angle that looks like it either locks the top screw or regulates something.

14 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

That is the screw, and if you look really close, there is another screw right be if it at a 90 deg angle that looks like it either locks the top screw or regulates something.

Answered by Marc above.

• Like 1

Why do you want to adjust the beat ? On a full plate like this one it's not an easy job because you don't see the pallet fork. So unless you have a really large beat error i wouldn't recommend to try that. Beat error of several ms is common of these watches.

Why do you want to adjust the beat ? On a full plate like this one it's not an easy job because you don't see the pallet fork. So unless you have a really large beat error i wouldn't recommend to try that. Beat error of several ms is common of these watches.

Beat error is 10ms

On antique watches I believe one should go for nice looks and basic working. Seeking exactness where it never was doen't make much sense. Exceptions possibly, Railroad series or other special.