A Little Competition

Ok, todays quiz.

How much do you think one 20mm springbar would cost from a well known shoe repair and key cutting service outlet here in the UK?

I am still in shock and drinking hot sweet tea at the moment.

I will give the answer in an hour or so, to give people a chance to enter this competition.

Sorry there is no prize just the promise of a good laugh.

Edited by Davey57

Yep

£3 each. I'm still not certain they knew what they were talking about. They were not the usual staff, I have bought a few odds and ends there before and they are usually fair enough.

I think they may have been looking at 30p and thinking it was £3. I did point out that I can buy a pack of 20 for 95p but it did no good.

Needless to say I did not buy any. Rather frustrating though as I only need 3 to be able to refit the bracelet to my 7T92 that I have been busy with, all of my bars are too fat. I will have to wait until I have an order for Cousins to get some :(

I'm going to be perfectly straight with you, I don't sell loose parts.

Mostly because people don't know exactly what type, thickness and width spring bar they need off hand. something's likely to be wrong. I also don't intend to get blamed when they don't fit them properly.

If I did sell them, they'd have to a minimum of £3 each just to be worth my time for the interaction/transaction, even then don't think i'd be smiling gleefully and rubbing my hands together.

There's no money to be made in re selling parts that you need anyway for 20/30p 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

There's no money to be made in re selling parts that you need anyway for 20/30p

Maybe not directly, but indirectly. Helping someone out with a really simple thing even just covering your cost, will more than likely ensure they come back to you when a decent repair or service is required. Personally, I would just have given them one.
  • Like 3

It is a service that you are providing, they bring the watch into the shop while you are fitting the new ones they can be looking around and might buy something or they have a clock or a watch that needs a repair. One thing that was a big advantage was the repairs are carried out on the premises.

• Like 3

It's always a good idea to have a stock of the little blighters. I bought a compartmentalised plastic box of bars ranging from 8mm upwards for a pound or two on eBay some years ago. There must be at least 200 bars in the box.

Hope the shock's passed...

I always bought the type with the little shoulders I found those to be much better than the ordinary sort. I think they came in packs of 10 from Southern Watch and Clock suppliers from Orpington Kent. I got most of my stuff from them. 

I bought a couple of boxes of multiple sizes of springs from Ebay.  No problem.  They are shouldered and seem great, quality-wise.  I think I paid AU$6 for each box and the boxes have hundreds of the little b#ggers!

The only difficulty with buying springs on Ebay is trying to get the curved ones...they cost a pretty penny!

Geo mentioned helping people out with small parts like springs and that they would see that as a goodwill gesture.  I have to totally agree.  The old watchmaker that looked after our family watches years ago was like that.  Lovely old bloke.  If you needed a spring he'd give you one gratis.  And when we needed work done on any of the family watches we'd take them to him as a gesture of our good faith.

Edited by stroppy

Maybe not directly, but indirectly. Helping someone out with a really simple thing even just covering your cost, will more than likely ensure they come back to you when a decent repair or service is required. Personally, I would just have given them one.

Same here, they are a dime a dozen so a spring bar is a good way to attract return customers:)  I don't know of anyone around here that would do that:/

Edited by jeffc83

I bought a couple of boxes of multiple sizes of springs from Ebay.  No problem.  They are shouldered and seem great, quality-wise.  I think I paid AU$6 for each box and the boxes have hundreds of the little b#ggers!

The only difficulty with buying springs on Ebay is trying to get the curved ones...they cost a pretty penny!

Geo mentioned helping people out with small parts like springs and that they would see that as a goodwill gesture.  I have to totally agree.  The old watchmaker that looked after our family watches years ago was like that.  Lovely old bloke.  If you needed a spring he'd give you one gratis.  And when we needed work done on any of the family watches we'd take them to him as a gesture of our good faith.

You used to be able to buy a tool for curving lugs, I don't know if its still available.

I don't know of anyone around here that would do that

I know what you mean Jeff. The sad part is that most people, in my area, think they are inherently free! They don't appreciate the gesture! As a matter of fact, no one wants to pay a decent price for the work performed in their watches and that's the result of cheap watches being sold everywhere...so I only "give away" spring bars to certain people at my discretion...not everyone deserves one! I've done meaningful work on watches and even though the customer has been satisfied beyond expectations I'm still waiting for my money! Some people don't deserve to even own a watch!

Just my two cents!...

PS. Rant and not related with costs but related with some customers we may encounter along the way! Thank you for helping me vent some frustration! :)

• Like 2

I should say I used to sell loose parts, and in my experience It was only gaining me customers who would come back for more loose parts or even favours. Just my take on the issue, It's likely I'd have a more favorable attitude if the place I work at wasn't as busy/successful as it was. Just turned out to be at best a waste of time at worst a nightmare, in my experience. 

And I certainly don't want to paint the picture that I don't think it's important to be friendly or helpful to customers, A business can sink or swim based on the good will you put out there. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

Well it won't put me off going back there for any bit's and bob's. I have got to know the regular staff and they are nice people and go out of their way to be helpful. First time I popped in on the off chance that they might have the particular style of strap I was looking for. The woman raked through all of her trays and lo and behold had the very thing. It was probably expensive for what it was but I didn't mind as it was exactly what I wanted, went back a week later and bought another strap. Next time I see them I will lightheartedly ask about the springbars. The box that the lads had on the counter must have been worth about 3 grand retail if they had the price correct, surprised not to see a security guard hovering. Ironically the shop next door has used Rolex and Omegas for sale that would cost less than their box of springbars :)

IT guy here too Jeff! Same feeling! The dog has bitten me many, many times! :)

Have you ever gone to work and the good morning you get is rather: [pointing finger in a recognition gesture like, IT guy approaching] My computer [request for service]. Then you answer: good morning to you too, [add name, or whatever]! :)

Some people are just different to I help...until the dog...oh, well!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

I used to help all the staff at my workplace with IT problems.  At first I saw it as a kindness offered to others.  I followed my father's mantra..."Help people and they will help you when the time comes".  Well that often was NOT the case.  I would get phone calls at all hours asking me to fix this or that or for advice.  Worst thing was when I couldn't fix something after spending hours trying to track down a problem.  Then the "friendly face" you were first offered turned to anger as if, somehow, you caused the problem.  Then you'd get phone calls from people you hadn't seen in ages...they'd offer perfunctory greetings and get down to basically demanding that you help set up their printer, etc.  It had to stop.  I stopped it.  I just decided to say, "Sorry...I no longer have the ability to do that" or "I'm tied up with work at the moment...why don't you try the shop that sold it to you?"  People soon understood.  No more Mr NiceGuy.

I still help folks but I make it clear that if I can't fix it the first time they need to get a professional in and if the fault reoccurs because of something they do then they will also have to call in a professional.

• Like 1