Music

Years ago in my workshop I always had radio 2 on. When it was cricket season I would always have the test match on.

Here's a few of my favorites Pink Floyd, Captain Beefheart, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Moody Blues.  I have hundreds of cd's of music on my computers.

Years ago in my workshop I always had radio 2 on. When it was cricket season I would always have the test match on.

Here's a few of my favorites Pink Floyd, Captain Beefheart, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Moody Blues.  I have hundreds of cd's of music on my computers.

'Just another brick in the wall.' Also, Bob Dylan has Swedish roots; they often do programs about him on Sveriges Radio P1.

Dave

Although I studied classical music and played a fair bit of it, I got side tracked into my current career: IT. I did play lots of Bach, lots of Spanish music for Classical Guitar and South American music, mostly Agustin Barrios and Leo Brower which are staples in the guitar repertoire...also several rag times too (Scott Joplin), all of which I enjoyed so much I can't describe it. Other than Bach and Handel being my favorites, I like Mozart (funny, most people say this the first time, I don't, I leave him for third or maybe fourth), Beethoven (not so much but quite, maybe 10th on the list), Handel, Chopin (used to play his preludes in the piano) and Liszt (love that one), Boccherini, Puccini, Wagner, oh well the list goes on... and enjoying most everything music, on the "dark side" my other musical tastes include Beatles (Number one hands down), some country music and such, eg. Toby Keith and banjo music, then, Led Zeppelin (number one point one), Lynyrd Skynyrd (almost a number one too), blues, jazz: Armstrong, Steve Ray Vaughan, Getz, Pat Benatar, Brazilian: Elis Regina, Jobim, Powell...OK, I like most everything, even old big band music: Dorsey, Miller,etc, and "music hall" stuff: Trenet, Piaf, Montand (Syracuse, one of my favorites)...where does it end? My music library is quite big...just as my movie collection and my watch collection and my guitar collection and my...what's not to collect  -- and enjoy -- anyway! :D

...err, I don't have a wife collection but my mother-in-law makes up for many women...all under the same roof, I tell you that! :D

In any case, since life is so short, the whole point is to enjoy, and music makes a big chunk of that enjoyment for me...I just wish I had the time to go back to my guitar as before!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. As a part time job during college, I worked in a piano restoring business as a tech, we made piano strings in a machine almost lathe like. At that place, a blind guy would tune the pianos back then, it was super interesting how he went about it! Thoroughly enjoyed all of that too! 

Many years ago, I was wandering around in London when I came across a very low wooden door - maybe 5' 6" high - with the word 'Luthier' written above it. I was curious so I tried it and finding it open I bent over and went in. The room was dingy and an older man greeted me very gruffly. I asked if they made violins and he said, "What, sir, does a luthier do?" I said, "Make violins." He said, "QED! Brilliant, sir!" I was about to leave when he smiled a most wonderful smile and said, "Please, come in." Through another low door there was a modern shop with about 10 people working on violins - some of them quite young and I was surprised to see about 1/2 were women. He showed me through the shop and one man told me the 'old man' was the best varnisher in the world whereupon the older man said, "Shut your gob you silly bugger and get back to work!" A young women sitting nearby said that the Dickensian conditions were unbearable then smiled. It was obvious that everyone working there loved it and their work. I only wish I could find the place again. 

• Like 1

Although I studied classical music and played a fair bit of it, I got side tracked into my current career: IT. I did play lots of Bach, lots of Spanish music for Classical Guitar and South American music, mostly Agustin Barrios and Leo Brower which are staples in the guitar repertoire...also several rag times too (Scott Joplin), all of which I enjoyed so much I can't describe it. Other than Bach and Handel being my favorites, I like Mozart (funny, most people say this the first time, I don't, I leave him for third or maybe fourth), Beethoven (not so much but quite, maybe 10th on the list), Handel, Chopin (used to play his preludes in the piano) and Liszt (love that one), Boccherini, Puccini, Wagner, oh well the list goes on... and enjoying most everything music, on the "dark side" my other musical tastes include Beatles (Number one hands down), some country music and such, eg. Toby Keith and banjo music, then, Led Zeppelin (number one point one), Lynyrd Skynyrd (almost a number one too), blues, jazz: Armstrong, Steve Ray Vaughan, Getz, Pat Benatar, Brazilian: Elis Regina, Jobim, Powell...OK, I like most everything, even old big band music: Dorsey, Miller,etc, and "music hall" stuff: Trenet, Piaf, Montand (Syracuse, one of my favorites)...where does it end? My music library is quite big...just as my movie collection and my watch collection and my guitar collection and my...what's not to collect  -- and enjoy -- anyway! :D

...err, I don't have a wife collection but my mother-in-law makes up for many women...all under the same roof, I tell you that! :D

In any case, since life is so short, the whole point is to enjoy, and music makes a big chunk of that enjoyment for me...I just wish I had the time to go back to my guitar as before!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. As a part time job during college, I worked in a piano restoring business as a tech, we made piano strings in a machine almost lathe like. At that place, a blind guy would tune the pianos back then, it was super interesting how he went about it! Thoroughly enjoyed all of that too! 

Bob your musical tastes are eclectic, but quite refined nonetheless. I also have the same [classical] list of music for watch fixing...Russian are another favorite of mine: S. Prokofiev and S. Rachmaninoff. Sometimes I like Electro dance music, which strange as it sounds, is not intrusive to my concentration.

JC

I apprenticed with a very fine piano technician in Winnipeg, Bill W., who often had a couple of people working in his shop besides himself. We were working on key spacing on a grand and the other apprentice said, "We're spacing keys; I guess that makes us space men." Bill didn't say anything but he came back a little after noon and said, "Come on spacemen, it's time for launch."

• Like 1

Absolutely, Joe. How about Stravinsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky and Borodin? And Mussorgsky with his "Pictures at an Exibition"? Even Disney had to do with him in "Fantasia". Or their virtuoso and composer Rubinstain (Anton) a rival of Liszt? But anyway the list can go on...Check out the Bach Cello suites by Rostropovich! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAOWI-tkGg To me he was an inspiration when I was playing them, mostly No. 1 (BWV 1007, originally in G major, link) 

But then you have an ensemble: The Moscow Virtuosi and Spivakov: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awl8mzvM5As who also played "The Seasons" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEMEV3vLe1c Starting min 17:30 will blow you away (I don't know how I forgot Vivaldi!) Also worth checking out Perlman and Zukerman (maybe not Russian but, hey, they are awesome) playing Bach Violin concertos! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4LFjuWvwzw Those my friend are something to hear....So traveling around the world, you get Jean Pierre Rampal playing Bach Sonatas for flute and Harpsichord! Made to order for heaven: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM4CsQdMtsQ

And of course here is guitar. I used to know this guy, maybe you've heard about him. Also knew his older brother who died first...what a loss to the world, both! The brothers playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z5yalkWjSI, Then with these other super guys :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFlDf7Ck-N4 and finally in a less known style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8LL1x6J2rU

Wow, Joe, you made me re live so many memories, and there is so much, I'm not even skimming the surface, we'll need another dedicated forum for this and lots of beer!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Some other type of music I enjoy too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1-sSR5iYaU

• 2 weeks later...

lately, i have downloaded a ton of reggae music. i have always liked reggae, but in the past three or four months, it's really taken off. the two artists i'm liking the most is gregory isaacs and dennis brown.

as far as music is concerned, i have always been an island - my taste departs quite a bit from that of my friends. i'm partial to stereolab, stereophonics, the cardigans, the clash, public image limited, pink floyd, dylan, genesis (with peter gabriel) the allman brothers.....it goes on.