New Old Stock - Old 60S- 80S Watches From Israel.

Has anyone here dealt with this Ebay seller?

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Noswatch?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

This guy must have bought the entire stock of a few jeweller's stores which were closing after many years of service.  He has vintage LANCOs, Revues (and all the sub-brands thereof) , Renis and Gigandet watches plus many other brands.  Many are completely unused...never sold...etc....

I am thinking of buying this watch from him:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/vintage-lanco-nos-watch-auto-swiss-1960s-water-r-new-/201493779788?hash=item2ee9f7154c:g:qggAAOSw5IJWg56S

What do you all think?

Never dealt with him, but I have just clicked your link and he has some nice watches. Where would somebody find so many "new" old watches?  Are they reproductions or copies? It would be nice to think they were genuinely from that era as I would quite fancy one myself. Hopefully someone with a better knowledge than me will chime in.

I like the one that you have your eye on.

• Like 1

Never dealt with him, but I have just clicked your link and he has some nice watches. Where would somebody find so many "new" old watches?  Are they reproductions or copies? It would be nice to think they were genuinely from that era as I would quite fancy one myself. Hopefully someone with a better knowledge than me will chime in.

I like the one that you have your eye on.

Davey... I contacted the seller.  It is all original NOS.  Many of the watches still have their original presentation boxes and company labels along with the caseback protective stickers.

I just love the LANCO, Renis and Gigandet automatics he has.  Imagine owning something that is, ostensibly, brand new but from the 60s or 70s.  Talk about timewarp!  The only downside is many of the watches of that era used perspex crystals but the upside of that is that if the crystal scratches you can buff most superficial scratches out with bicarb soda powder mixed into a little standard white toothpaste.

Remember that they are well over due a service because of the age.

I purchased a NOS ladies Vulcain for my good lady a couple of years ago for £40 and it was a bargain and ran OK. After I serviced it, it's now is great time keeper.

• Like 1

Remember that they are well over due a service because of the age.

I bought my wife one of these about 18 months ago, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-NEW-SWISS-WATERPROOF-RECORD-LUXE-WOMENS-WATCH-1960S-/401053527897?hash=item5d60a72f59, I don't remember the seller but it wasn't this guy and I paid a lot less. It was NOS, but maybe more of a one off.

It needed a service as it occasioanlly ran at about double speed! The case back was really hard to remove, the crown seal had turned to mush (fortunately managed to replace that and keep the signed crown), and the lume on the dial crumbled if you stared at it too hard. All these were fairly easy to rectify and she now has a "new" watch.

If you're paying someone else to do the service, then these can work out quite expensive. If you are DIY, then they seem like an ok deal.

S

• Like 1

I haven't looked thorough all he has but I like the style of this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201491980459?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The only thing is there will be extra charges bringing it into the country, import duty is fair enough but the last thing I bought, the post office put a handling charge on that was almost the same cost as the item I was buying.

Still going to have a look though :)

Good point that Geo, I guess lying in storage all these years all the oils and grease will be u/s.

• Like 1

I haven't looked thorough all he has but I like the style of this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201491980459?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The only thing is there will be extra charges bringing it into the country, import duty is fair enough but the last thing I bought, the post office put a handling charge on that was almost the same cost as the item I was buying.

Still going to have a look though :)

Good point that Geo, I guess lying in storage all these years all the oils and grease will be u/s.

Ah the beauty of living downunder where (for the moment) we are not taxed on such imports.

The seller offers a 6 months "no questions asked-we pay the postage" warranty for the watches so that means he has, at the very least, checked them out before selling them.

I'm not sure about the "Elves" watch you like.  I also love the style but I fear it might be another Sindaco, EB movement, one jewel job.  Now they can be very rugged movements and all but not the most accurate and very loud in the ticking department.

You won't pay import duties on 96 dollars U.S. I think the allowance is 135 sterling. You will have to pay VAT and the post office will pay customs, then charge you and also charge a handling fee for the service

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Our allowance is, I think, a thousand dollars AU.  There is no GST (VAT) or privately imported items from Ebay and such up to that limit and there certainly is no "handling fee".

What a lot of folks here do is that if they want more than one item (let's say I was buying three of the watches listed by the seller I linked to) they ask the seller to send the items separately and staggered over a week.

good point, stroppy. how would one know if the watch they're looking at is a "one jewel wonder". i really hate to be a jewel snob, but i have a 17 jewel minimum, so to speak. i don't want any pin pallet stuff.

edit: he lists the number of jewels in his description. some are not listed....possibly the one jewel wonders.

Edited by ramrod