Removing Balance Cap Jewel On Certain Watches.

Hi, so I've noticed that there are 3 types of balance cap jewels for oiling the endstones..

Picture included of the 3 types.

The first one is the most easiest to open, and the second is also fairly straight forward as well.

However does anyone know if the third one is able to be removed?

It has baffled me and I'm not even sure if it's meant to be removed, so was wondering if anyone else any experience with this type?

post-1618-0-68778200-1453314531_thumb.jp

:) Novodiac? Try a diafix from Seiko!

I have no problem removing them.

If I ever find them once they are out, they are a bear to get back in place. If I magnify enough to see them, they make all my tools look ginormous.

The second & third style unless they are really gummed up I do not remove the jewels. I clean in my L&R watch cleaning machine after giving them a really good soak in one dip. Then I use an auto oiler to lube the jewels. 

Cheater :-)

The second & third style unless they are really gummed up I do not remove the jewels. I clean in my L&R watch cleaning machine after giving them a really good soak in one dip. Then I use an auto oiler to lube the jewels. 

Oh that's interesting, that would avoid any risk to the hairspring.

What one dip solution do you use?

The third is easy, you have two screws under the balance cock, you need to disassemble the cock from the balance to access the screws.

For the second (jewel in setting with cap jewel, your picture show a chaton setting but in general the cap jewel is flat and no so easy to remove)  its depend how easily the cap jewel comes once you have remove the screws. My best option if the cap jewel don't come is to used a stacking set and push the jewels from the back. You have to be careful when selecting the punch and used very light force; the punch must push the setting, not the jewel, use a flat or concave punch, no hammer just tap with your finger or a the back of your tweezers. This is the same process if you need to change a broken balance jewel in setting.

An other quick and dirty but safe option is to oil from the jewel hole using an automatic oiler, the oil must not spread on the jewel face.

How do you remove Rodico from a cap jewel and Novodiac spring after they are replaced? I was told to use it to put the parts in place but now I have it where I don't want it.

Thank you for your help.

Dave

Been there done that. I think you have to remove it again and clean with some solvent. I think naptha works. Sometimes Rodico isn't the best to use? Maybe some clean Rodico could remove it? You will have to try? 

I haven't heard of any... I don't think there is one. I use a pair of tweezers and a pin made from a broken oiler sharpened to 0.2mm like in the video below (thanks again perplxr for the tip :) )... and lots of prayers, sweaty palms and searching the net for movement donors :))

p.s. the video doesn't present a diafix but only the pin ;)

Edited by matabog
  • Like 1

I stand by the rodico method. I take the endstone with the rodico and oil it under 10x, put it over the other jewel and use a tweezer to make it sit in its place while pulling off the rodico. The risk of the endstone flying is almoast 0.