Removing Balance Cap Jewel On Certain Watches.

I use pegwood for removing and replacing hole jewels and cap jewels into the balance cock and base plate. Lightly tap into place or push in. Used rodico once and had the same problem. Anybody having problems fitting screws, consider a Bergeon pin vice, not the ones you screw up but they have a sliding collet, if that's the right word.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Seems there's more than one way to skin a cat...LOL

What kind of oil is best for cap jewels? I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I'll never use. When I started to learn piano technology I was sent a bunch of stuff I never needed...ever. I'm going to order a set of 4 Oilers and if I could just get 1 kind of oil for now that would be great. If someone thinks I need more please tell me.

Thank you for all your help.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I sure jammed a lot of Rodico in under the cleat where the Novodiac Spring goes. I had a hard time getting apart after cleaning it. Now it's apart I hope the cleat gets a good cleaning. Of course, now the whole thing has come out of the bottom plate - etc.

I must say, however, my tweezer/pegwood technique is improving the more I handle this stuff.

Practice makes perfect - except with golf.

Dave

Sorry to hear about your Golf, Dave...I learned they had a defective batch of golf sticks at the place you bought yours...that's a no win situation!  :)

On the other hand and seriously, I believe you are doing just fine. It is all a learning curve and pretty soon you'll be handling those like a pro.

Cheers,

Bob

Thank you, Bob, for your words of encouragement.

I figure it's the little people who live inside the golf ball and control its flight that have something against me.

I actually surprised myself while taking apart the cap jewel for cleaning.

Perhaps I am coming off my plateau and climbing to another...

Dave

Dave, the cap jewel on either end is replaced the same way. Basically -- and the way I do it -- I grab the whole thing with either my tweezers or rodico (first the cap and then the case jewel underneath) and drop them in lighter fluid. I let them there for a while and shake them every once in a while (if there is a spring -- novodiac or some detachable variation) I drop it in the fluid too. Then, I take all the parts on a piece of watchmaker's paper (lint free) and let dry. Eventually I take the cased jewel right side up and put the oil in it and the cap jewel on top. They will be "bound" together this way. The final step is to drop the whole thing on the bridge hole where they belong and hold them with the spring.

Now as for the actual replacement when you loose one of them, you go by the caliber of the movement and order them accordingly. Check out this link so you have an idea of what I'm talking about: http://www.ofrei.com/page615.html#23561

I just takes practice and very important, your tweezers need to be perfectly dressed. I particularly favor #5 for most stuff. Of course, #5 is too thin and therefore not that strong for a lot of other work but for this and hairsprings are good. Remember than not all #5 are made the same...I use a good quality cheapo one for rough work and dress it constantly (I like doing that, it's a hobby!). For the real thing I use Dumont #5 Dumostar, hard, chemical resistant, antimagnetic and ...expensive.

One more thing, if using rodico, I roll an end into a fine sort of tip (thinner than  the cap jewel) and use it gently...make sure you have handled it enough so it is soft and sticky.

I hope it works...but I'm not a pro so maybe other people have better suggestions.

Bob

PS. The actual embedding of any jewel into a hole (permanent deal) and probably not a balance one unless we are talking about older or different movements, are done with a jeweling tool as CB said.

Hi Bob

Thank you for your lengthy and informative post.

It is the whole assembly that need to be replaced. The thing holding everything, jewels etc, in the plate. I'm told I don't need a staking tool for it since it goes in outside in and there is a limiting cleat on it.

I am away in Winnipeg just now. I look forward to oiling and replacing everything when I get home.

Thank you again

Dave

Hi ya,

It seems from what your saying the hole jewel and cap jewel fits into a flanged hole. If so you won't require a jewelling tool as the depth of the jewel is set by the flange. Push the hole jewel in first using a piece of pegwood then the cap jewel. Don't use a stake for this as it could damage the jewel or Where it seats onto. In other cases you will need a jewelling set. Keep an eye out on Ebay for a decent second hand set. A new set your going to have to have deep pockets for the purchase. Sending pic of my old Seitz set to give you an idea what to look for.b59d56b4c43f6dac6a955602ef353f9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk